Engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuild

Well I am getting a 3.1L tomorrow and after I tear it down I will send it in to the machine shop. The whole engine kit from Clevite is $750 including pistons.

All the machine shop charges including blueprinting, 0.040 overbore, head rebuild and assembly of the short block will cost $1200

Everything is good except for the measly stock compression of 8.8:1. The guy looked and phoned 3 places for me and that is all he could find.

Both him and I agree we don't want to mill the block or heads if we can avoid it as that weakens the deck and/or heads and also can create intake manifold problems. Which would require machining and more cost on my part. So if I can I would like to be in the 9.5:1 range any advice?
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

I wish mine had a little higher comp but it works very well as is in my Blazer. I got most of my tech advice from you.
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

using the copression ratio calc, with a .040 overbore, and .040 thickness headgaskets(camaro 3.1) it came out to 9.55:1. the quench is a bit much, .057, but your compression is there. it's up to you.

EDIT: since i did that, and i've always heard people talking about quench, i looked up some info on it. turns out that .057 isn't nearly as bad as i thought it was. you'd have something more like .077 with stock headgaskets and that's way too much. so you're actually much better off with the camaro hedgaskets.
      Last edited by RedBird; 01-29-2009, 05:14 PM.

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
      Cammed 3500 --> ???
      1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

What heads and pistons cc's did you use? This is an iron head motor

Comment

bah. ok then i'm dumb. i'm a FWD guy, and i'm so used to hearing 3.1 refering to the alum head motor, that that's what i used. damn lol. let's try again then lol

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
          Cammed 3500 --> ???
          1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

what about using 2.8 pistons with a bit machined off the tops?

i forget the compression height difference.. might not even be possible.. lol
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

The difference was about 4MM I am not sure if it is possible either. Even if you did not it the upper ring land you might compromise its strength.

Comment

you are worrying WAY too much about block/head/piston strength and integrity.

it isnt made out of plastic. flycutting is normal place on stock bottom end big cam cars. machining of the pistons to get the right shape dome is as well. those pistons are thick on top, and the first ring land on the 2.8l are very thick. id look at very good shop that could machine the pistons and go that way for increased CR

Comment

ive been looking into this as well.what is the distance the 2.8 piston will pop out the top of the bore on a 3.1 crank?

i have a set of pistions i can throw int he bridgeport/lathe whatever to cut them down then cut in half to see how thick the top of the piston is after the machine work
                  #1 1989 RS - THE L98 AND LT1/LS1 KILLER
                  1LE SUSPENSION AND BRAKE SWAP,3.1L V6 8.5-1 CR, LIGHTENED CRANK,KB COATED PISTONS, CUSTOM 268/272 DUR CAM, CNC'ED HEADS, PORTED INTAKE,CUSTOM TURBO KIT W/ 67MM TURBO(AKA TO4R/Z) 28 PSI, TCI STREETFIGHTER 700R4 W/ TCI 4,500 STALL,ALL RUN BY A MEGASQUIRT ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

#2 95 granprix 3100 all stock for now
                  ported heads and cam comming soon, megasquirt ems and turbo down the road

Comment

Originally posted by gectek View Post
                    you are worrying WAY too much about block/head/piston strength and integrity.

it isnt made out of plastic. flycutting is normal place on stock bottom end big cam cars. machining of the pistons to get the right shape dome is as well. those pistons are thick on top, and the first ring land on the 2.8l are very thick. id look at very good shop that could machine the pistons and go that way for increased CR
                    Yea but 4mm is a big cut. But I suppose the dish is even deeper than that so it should be ok. But what happens if the required cut to zero deck the pistons sends the compression through the roof? Then I suppose I have the option of a thicker aluminum head gasket.

Comment

4mm is .157 inches

i will grab one of my pistons now and measure. if i have to i will cut the piston in half and measure the top thickness
                      1LE SUSPENSION AND BRAKE SWAP,3.1L V6 8.5-1 CR, LIGHTENED CRANK,KB COATED PISTONS, CUSTOM 268/272 DUR CAM, CNC'ED HEADS, PORTED INTAKE,CUSTOM TURBO KIT W/ 67MM TURBO(AKA TO4R/Z) 28 PSI, TCI STREETFIGHTER 700R4 W/ TCI 4,500 STALL,ALL RUN BY A MEGASQUIRT ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

Comment

ok from the top of the ringland to the top of the pistion measures

so if we take off 157 that leaves us with

.176 left for the top ring land.more then enough material

now for the thickness of the piston before machining

and after machining .193 thick at the thinest point

so it is possible now u just need to figure out base cr with 0 deck fith a flattop piston.

from there we can see how much if any more material u would have to remove to get desired cr

Comment

nice to see actual numbers on this subject. this was discussed earlier and was assumed the ring land would be way too thin to make this work.
                          Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                          fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Originally posted by torq455 View Post
                            nice to see actual numbers on this subject. this was discussed earlier and was assumed the ring land would be way too thin to make this work.
                            i was interested in this myself for a cheap nitrous build,i had a set of stock 2.8 pistons and i was at work so i grabe done and pressed it off a rod and took the measurements.

then i put it in the lathe and made the cut off the top.measured for the ringland
                            then i cut the piston in half in the bandsaw to see how thick it was at the thinest point.

now this wont work for my build the piston top would be to thin for a healthy shot of nitrous. but in an n/a application there is no reason this wont work.

somone should figure out the cr with the 0 deck flatop and see what it comes out to

if need be i can chuck up another piston and machine an .025 or so recess into the piston top and cc it to see how much it will bring it down

or u could go the other way and machine these in a mill for a popup style dome for even higher compression
                            Last edited by project89; 01-30-2009, 11:45 PM.

Comment

got some solid numbers for u guys

ok heres what i come up with

3.1 with cutdown 2.8 piston as above
                              this is with a .040 gasket

and this one
                              same as above but with .060 gasket

now the same as above except with a minus 6 cc dish milled into the piston and .060 gasket

and now the same with the standard .040 gasket

im not sure just how much material u would have to remove to get a -6 cc dish but i have 5 more 2.8 pistons at work i can throw in the milling machine or lather and cut some dishes into and try some diff configurations, afterwards i could cc each piston to come up with some solid numbers and combos to calculate compressions with domes and dishes on the pistons

just to make u guys aware were it says dome in the calculator actually reflects dish volume
                              a positive cc number means dish
                              and a negative (i.e -6 would mean 6cc dome)

Comment

Working...
                              X