What cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cam

Im almost ready to put my 3400 block with 3500 upper end together, and I would like to know based on fact, or opinion what is the most radical cam I can install without custom programming? IE: computer will compensate, Im not concerned with throwing cam codes or anything like that, just dont want the motor to starve. I like the really choppy sound to that of a cam similar to a crane 260, or 272 and i understand these cams dont work for my application, I want one of the stores cams, just need to know what my best option is. Also I will be running the Iron head 3.4 headgasket to boost compression. Thank you for your help and support.

Originally posted by Badassoldspower View Post
    Also I will be running the Iron head 3.4 headgasket to boost compression. Thank you for your help and support.
    I don't think you can safely run with that gasket on a Gen 3. I asked about this a while ago and was told the pistons stick out the block .020" which leaves only .020 between the top of the piston and the head. If you have a gen 2 you get away with it cause the pistons don't stick out of the block.

Comment

Well problem here. What kind of tuning are you doing for your current mods? A custom cam will only need that much more tuning. The cam I have ( 1211 grind ) you can probably get away with minimal tuning, but Ill find that out soon. Anything bigger than that cam and youll need tuning for sure.
      sigpic
      1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
      3400/Getrag 284 5spd
      1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
      350/NV3500 5spd
      2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

no good on those head gaskets, and all cams are going to want tuning. I wouldn't go bigger than the 1211 grind if you cannot do any sort of tuning at all.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

You have to remember that when the computer is "compensating" for mods like a cam or top end swap, that it's really doing what it can to keep the car running. Performance will not be anywhere close to what is available without a tune, not to mention driveability(i.e. car stalls at red light) does become suspect.

What vehicle are you putting your engine in?
          Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Originally posted by sprucegagt View Post
            You have to remember that when the computer is "compensating" for mods like a cam or top end swap, that it's really doing what it can to keep the car running. Performance will not be anywhere close to what is available without a tune, not to mention driveability(i.e. car stalls at red light) does become suspect.

What vehicle are you putting your engine in?
            Quoted for truth!
            Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
            3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
            Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
            2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
            TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Well The motor is going in a 97 2 door cutlass, and I dont really want to dish out 500-600 bucks for HP Tuners software. I know all ther is to know about what to tune, I just wish there was a cheap software to do it, because I do have the know how.

Comment

The iron head gaskets arn't good on the 3400? I would like more info on this because I did it to my engine but haven't had the chance to run it much yet. I thought the piston only stuck up 12 thousandths. which would put the piston a tight but doable 33 thousands from the head. Using the Roll graphite head gaskets which I believe are 45 thousandths. Correct me if I 'm wrong. Supper dave ran them on his 3500 is the piston height different than the 3400?

Comment

.010 for 3500 and .020 for 3400 roughly. Its close on a 3500 but too thin for 3400. It should run, but once you get to higher RPM, its going to be taking a high risk for piston to head interference.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by 95Grand-Am View Post
                    The iron head gaskets arn't good on the 3400? I would like more info on this because I did it to my engine but haven't had the chance to run it much yet. I thought the piston only stuck up 12 thousandths. which would put the piston a tight but doable 33 thousands from the head. Using the Roll graphite head gaskets which I believe are 45 thousandths. Correct me if I 'm wrong. Supper dave ran them on his 3500 is the piston height different than the 3400?
                    Yes, i ran them and have the dents in my pistons to prove it.. I made the mistake of not measuring the popup and just going by what was posted in a 3500 thread. I posted the aftermath a month ago or so... I measured .019 popup on the 3500.

the ROL ones are actually .040 compressed which like they said would give you .020 clearance, you'll be bending valves in no time.. lol

all larger cams need tuning, talk to your local dyno shop and see if they have the right software to tune the car.
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

.019? Damn, and my block is all apart or I would measure again.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                        .019? Damn, and my block is all apart or I would measure again.
                        Yep.. but my dents are .034" deep which means they would have dented anyways, just less...
                        Past Builds;
                        Current Project;

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                          Yep.. but my dents are .034" deep which means they would have dented anyways, just less...
                          Did you have marks on the head from the piston pop up or just the valves? I running a stock cam so I don't have the lift that you do. Do you think I going to be in trouble or is there a good posibility that I can get away with it? i'm pretty sure that my piston only stuck up .012" with a .040 gasket it should give me .028". I race it, and plan on running @ 4500 rpm in the corners and @ 5500rpm at the end of the straights. I don't want it to blow so if you really think I should tear it back down let me know.

Comment

i deffenetly would, i don't have any marks on the heads but i only put 800 miles on it.

.040" is the standard, the rods stretch at higher RPM's so you need a decent buffer area there.
                            Past Builds;
                            Current Project;

Comment

So what is the most affordable solution to tuning?

Comment

Working...
                              X