Billet TB Linkage Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billet TB Linkage Install

Here are the directions to swap the parts from your old throttlebody into one of our billet pieces.

NOTE: You will need to bypass the coolant lines to your throttlebody as they are not needed nor is there a place to put them with these throttlebodies.

Here is what you should be starting with. Remove the TPS torx bits and pull the TPS off the stock throttlebody.

Next, remove the torx bolts holding the throttleplate in place.

Before you use a hammer to tap (not hard) the linkage loose, take a note of how the spring is setup on the other side.

Remove the throttle plate, then hit the shaft where the TPS was to get it loose. Its press fit, so it might take a little force but it most likely isn't going to be too hard.

You will want to use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel or a file that fit, or anything else really to remove metal from the slot in the shaft to accept the plate. Make sure you take the metal off both ends so that the plate will also line up with the holds so you can screw it back down.

Now remove the IAC (or you could have done that earlier but im dyslexic so I did it now.

Now its time to install the parts into the new throttlebody. You will want some grease or vaseline to lube the shaft before you push it through the bearings.

This is the throttle stop screw. Its very important to the operation of the throttle body as you do not want the plate to be wedging itself into the throttlebody bore (it will if you don't adjust this piece). Just loosen the bolt and the screw part will spin as well so you can move it out.

This is how the spring seats on the throttlebody. You will want to line this up, and then spin the shaft/linkage around so you have some tension on the plate. Failure to do this will cause serious problems while driving (you wont get the throttle closed!)

This is how it looks with the plate in place. The X should face the bottom facing out, or the top if you have it facing torwards the plenum. Failure to do this will cause TPS problems as the angle will be wrong, and there will be more gap around the plate than there should be.

With the plate in place, set the stop screw out just past the point where the plate would bind. You will want to screw the plate down some but not all the way as you are setting the stop plate as it can wedge the plate into the bore if you tighten it down all the way before setting the throttle stop screw.

Install the IAC and TPS using the stainless hardware provided, and you are all set now to install the throttlebody.

This is the part I forget most (as is the case with this walkthrough).

Last edited by bszopi; 06-08-2008, 01:12 PM.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Tagged for repair...or something like that.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Done
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ben, is it possible to use the throttle plate from the stock 3500 throttlebody?
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

What is that screw you are pointing at in the last picture
          Originally posted by wozxx...{is 92 mph in a school zone illegal?}
          I was going relatively fast thru a school zone and was caught. However, I managed to zip into a neighborhood and evade the cop. Could I get additional tickets by trying to run?

Comment

Yes, what about that screw?

Comment

Its for the throttle cable bracket.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                Its for the throttle cable bracket.
                how easy is it to relocate the coolate hose, could I pick something up at autozone or any other auto parts store?

Comment

Simple, just need a short piece of hose and 2 hose clamps. Autozone or advance or most any place will have those items. I can supply them for that matter (have been meaning to add that option).
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

how much of a differance does this make to go billet

Comment

Well billet = bigger so if you need bigger with your mods, then it makes a good bit of difference :-)

One thing I would suggest to everyone, do NOT try this without a dremel! I didn't have one around and I used a hacksaw blade for a few hours trying to widen the stock shaft...
                      SpudFiles
                      Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
                      Theopia
                      Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
                      3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Pics are down?
                        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                          Pics are down?
                          Fixed.
                          -Brad-
                          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                          sigpic
                          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

pix down again
                            94 BerrettaZ26 3400,5 spd, aluminum flywheel, stg3+ spec clutch, poly mounts everywhere, strut and strut to rad braces, s&s headers, euro mirrors, and taillights, E36 headlights, blk widow spoiler, GTU rimz, intrax, KYB, OBD2 swap rear disk swap with ss lines and ss clutch line, addco rear bar

07 Chrysler 300 Base, with C frt bumper blk halo headlights and foglights. Coming soon tinted taillights and 22". The Family ride

Comment

Fixed (again).
                              -Brad-
                              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                              sigpic
                              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
                              X