Oil filters and the 3x00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filters and the 3x00

On the 3.1 it used a long filter and 5 qt capacity. On the 3100 and the like, the filter is shorter and it holds 4.5 qts. I was wondering if the 3.1 filter works on the 3100 and would it clear everything on say the Malibu and Grand Am. Putting in that .5 qt. is a pain, and adding having the extra .5 qt and more filtering area for the engine would be a benefit.
    Last edited by manicmechanix; 02-15-2009, 01:24 PM.

not answering your question, but i always just put the extra .5 in, never had a problem lol. but dont the have extra capacity oil filters for these engines? i thought they asked if i wanted the regular or the extra cap. one. could have been on my 69 ford to, so dont quote me
    sigpic

Comment

If you want a little extra capacity you can use the PF52 AC Delco filter or equivalent. It won't take up all of the extra .5 quart capacity but it will take enough to not have to worry about it.
      Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Originally posted by 1meanz View Post
        not answering your question, but i always just put the extra .5 in, never had a problem lol. but dont the have extra capacity oil filters for these engines? i thought they asked if i wanted the regular or the extra cap. one. could have been on my 69 ford to, so dont quote me
        Yeah like the other poster said there's the PF52 that was used on the 3.1 and the 3.1 held 5 qts. I'm not sure if they changed the oil pan for the 3x00. I think so, but if you had no problems putting 5qts in then the longer filter should definitely not make it overfilled. I would almost rather underfill by a .5 qt than overfill. With that longer filter maybe it would hold most of that extra .5 q. overfill and I can go to 5qts .

Comment

Some cars did have an adapter that points the filter straight down rather than at an angle. It might help with any clearance issues. I've been using the k&n hp-2001 filters (~1.25" longer than normal) for over a year now with no problems with clearance or road debris.
          1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

I use 3980 on my 96,3100,and alway put in 5qts.i think this puts it just a hair above full,but i have been doing this for 150,000 plus miles with no leaks or problems.

Comment

Originally posted by 96ols60degree View Post
              I use 3980 on my 96,3100,and alway put in 5qts.i think this puts it just a hair above full,but i have been doing this for 150,000 plus miles with no leaks or problems.
              What is a 3980? Does it cross-reference with a AC PF52 or what?

Well I saw the PF52 at Walmart for the same low price of the PF47. The PF52 looks like it would clear everything and being slightly longer it might even give better access for an oil filter wrench. I'll have to try it out and see next time I change oil. I buy Quaker State in the 5qt jugs and it'd be nice to just dump the whole 5 in .

Comment

A 3980 IS THE SAME AS A PF52,BUT EITHER A FRAM,STP,MILEGAURD,AND I BELIEVE A FEW OTHERS,(I USED TO WORK FOR JIFFY LUBE) BUT I DONT REMEMBER THE OTHERS.THIS IS ALSO THE FILTER THAT MY BUDDY'S 91 2.2 CORISICA ENGINE HAS,AND WAS USED ON 2.8'S,3.1'S,WILL WORK ON 3.3'S,3.8'S,SORRY! I WILL STOP NOW!I DO KNOW THIS IS YOU ONLY OPTION BESIDES 3387A.

Comment

on my old stock 3.1 i used the longer pf52. the stocker was the pf47, and i never had any problems. found out though that you can't run the pf52 on a 3x00 swapped jbody it sticks down past the subframe. not something you ever want, especially since i have a habit of bumping my subframe on parking blocks

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
                  Cammed 3500 --> ???
                  1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

Just an FYI...

FWIW, I've considered doing this before, and working at a NAPA, I have access to all the specs of both the PF52 (WIX 51036, NAPA 1036), and the PF47 (WIX 51040, NAPA 1040). Here's my comparison, and the reason why I have stuck with the smaller filter:

PF47/51040/1040:
                    Thread Size - 18mm x 1.50
                    OD - 2.921"
                    Height - 3.404"
                    Gasket ID - 2.43"
                    Gasket OD - 2.734"
                    Micron Rating - 19

PF52/51036/1036:
                    Thread Size - 18mm x 1.50 (Check!)
                    OD - 2.921" (Check!)
                    Height - 4.828" (Bigger = More Capacity, which is what we want = Check!)
                    Gasket ID - 2.43" (Check!)
                    Gasket OD - 2.734" (Check!)
                    Micron Rating - 25 (DOH!)

The PF52 actually filters slightly less effectively as far as what it allows through the filter media. Granted, it's only 6 microns, but in tighter tolerance engines, I'm leary about trying it. If anyone has any experience or can quell my fears in some logical way, I'd love to hear it!

Comment

all things considered, just a difference in the filtering media to bring it up from 19 to 25 would usually mean there is less restriction to it. so, you would get an increase in flow, which could show as less pressure on an oil pressure guage. nothing to worry about though. i only run PF52s (or the equivalent WIX) on the MC and GP.
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

As others have posted
                        PF47/51040/1040 Fram number - 3387a
                        PF52/51036/1036 Fram number - 3980

Many filters use the Fram numbering (viper defender etc)
                        As of April 2
                        3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
                        ----------------------------
                        Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
                        Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
                        Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
                        Injectors: #36 GTPs
                        TB: 65mm TCE
                        Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
                        Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
                        Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
                        Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

Originally posted by manicmechanix View Post
                          On the 3.1 it used a long filter and 5 qt capacity. On the 3100 and the like, the filter is shorter and it holds 4.5 qts. I was wondering if the 3.1 filter works on the 3100 and would it clear everything on say the Malibu and Grand Am. Putting in that .5 qt. is a pain, and adding having the extra .5 qt and more filtering area for the engine would be a benefit.
                          The basis for limiting the amount of oil in the crankcase has more to do with the depth and shape of the Oil Pan... as well as the design and motion/length and shape of the crankshaft throws/counterweights. Not all engines come equipped with lower pans to prevent this... but in the engines that do not have this protection...just like Julia Child on Acid in the Kitchen when beating eggs for a Merange... if the crank throws can dip into the oil at all... then it can whip the contents of your oil pan with air bubbles very quickly into a black froth that has about as much ability to lubricate an engine as a handful of beach sand. Likewise... the Oil Pump soon becomes a homologous structure in the bottom of the block... since it is only designed to pump pure, incompressible liquids. When this happens in an engine at elevated RPMS...Well...How many ways can you say, "Oh Shit..." just when the engine seizes? The moral of the story is... Avoid Over-Filling your engines beyond the recommended Oil Levels.
                          Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I actually saw an article that said over 5 qts. in an oil pan is a waste and can actually reduce performance. This was in a race engine though, but it still supports the idea that when it comes to oil more than the recommended volume of oil is not good.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                            Originally posted by Jay Leno
                            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I would rather have a little underfull than over,
                              There is a safe zone for under, plus, with too much oil, not only can you build too much crankcase pressure, if the crankshaft starting whipping it up it will become foaming or even just a little bubbly. Then, where ever this is a bubble, you have a Lack of oil.
                              As of April 2
                              3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
                              ----------------------------
                              Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
                              Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
                              Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
                              Injectors: #36 GTPs
                              TB: 65mm TCE
                              Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
                              Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
                              Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
                              Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

Working...
                              X