No announcement yet.

Oil filters and the 3x00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running an oversized filter won't hurt it. I'm running Syntec 0W-30 with a K&N HP-2001 filter, and I've never had an issue with performance. This oil is great for the colder months too, since to oil circulates much quicker, but when it comes up to temp, it's the same as running 5W-30.

Check out the site, www.bobistheoilguy.com for tons of helpful info on oil.
    -Chris-
    03 Black GAGT Sedan
    MODS:
    MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
    Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

And some other stuff to make it look pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
      I actually saw an article that said over 5 qts. in an oil pan is a waste and can actually reduce performance. This was in a race engine though, but it still supports the idea that when it comes to oil more than the recommended volume of oil is not good.
      I've heard this as well and I don't understand the reasoning behind it. I do believe the engine in question had a deep sump pan and was running about 8 qts of oil.
      Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Don't worry about running a 3x00 a little over on oil. I run 6 quarts in mine with no trouble. If you have the pan off and the dip stick in, you can see the full level is far bellow the windage tray, and when you start it the oil level will drop a little. For racing you need that extra oil to keep it for starving at high RPM's and hard cornering. But is is very true that you never want the oil level to be high enough to touch the crank.

Comment

Originally posted by sprucegagt View Post
          I've heard this as well and I don't understand the reasoning behind it. I do believe the engine in question had a deep sump pan and was running about 8 qts of oil.
          I want to say that these engines had no windage trays. I tried to dig around a little to find the whole article but couldn't find it I want to say they also had high volume pans, but filling them all the way up was a waste of oil and power. I wish I would have bookmarked it, it was a good read.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by BazTBone View Post
            FWIW, I've considered doing this before, and working at a NAPA, I have access to all the specs of both the PF52 (WIX 51036, NAPA 1036), and the PF47 (WIX 51040, NAPA 1040). Here's my comparison, and the reason why I have stuck with the smaller filter:

PF47/51040/1040:
            Thread Size - 18mm x 1.50
            OD - 2.921"
            Height - 3.404"
            Gasket ID - 2.43"
            Gasket OD - 2.734"
            Micron Rating - 19

PF52/51036/1036:
            Thread Size - 18mm x 1.50 (Check!)
            OD - 2.921" (Check!)
            Height - 4.828" (Bigger = More Capacity, which is what we want = Check!)
            Gasket ID - 2.43" (Check!)
            Gasket OD - 2.734" (Check!)
            Micron Rating - 25 (DOH!)

The PF52 actually filters slightly less effectively as far as what it allows through the filter media. Granted, it's only 6 microns, but in tighter tolerance engines, I'm leary about trying it. If anyone has any experience or can quell my fears in some logical way, I'd love to hear it!
            Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in awhile. I had actually tried experimenting with the PF52 and it would not hold the extra 1/2 qt, and when you shut the car off it would be slightly overfilled and it only held about a 1/4 extra qt tops. I also figured the PF47 would fill on cold start faster, so I went back to the PF47s.

Thanks, that is great info about the micron rating. You'd think the smaller PF47 would have the less finer micron rating than the PF52 because it has less media and would clog faster but apparently not. The thing to keep in mind is that most ACDelco are made by Champion Labs and are becoming "E-core" designs and some ACDelcos were made by WIX and whoever else, so it's important that you are comparing the same manufacture specs.

Anyway, I frequent a forum that has an oil filter subforum with guys fanatical about oil filters and they'd probably love to have someone with your information onboard. I'd like to copy and paste the info in your post and link you over to that forum if you don't mind http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=6&page=1 .
            Last edited by manicmechanix; 12-30-2009, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 95Grand-Am View Post
              Don't worry about running a 3x00 a little over on oil. I run 6 quarts in mine with no trouble. If you have the pan off and the dip stick in, you can see the full level is far bellow the windage tray, and when you start it the oil level will drop a little. For racing you need that extra oil to keep it for starving at high RPM's and hard cornering. But is is very true that you never want the oil level to be high enough to touch the crank.
              Wow 6 qts . So I quess just as I suspected the dipstick is long on the 3x00 and .5 qt overfill even with the PF47 won't actually overfill it at all.

I think I want to stick with the PF47 but I don't know if I want to dump in 5 qts or continue to meter out 4.5 qts or not.

Everyone be sure to click on page 2 there's an important post at the bottom i wanted seen that I buried with thbis reply lol.

Comment

Originally posted by manicmechanix View Post
                Anyway, I frequent a forum that has an oil filter subforum with guys fanatical about oil filters and they'd probably love to have someone with your information onboard. I'd like to copy and paste the info in your post and link you over to that forum if you don't mind http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=6&page=1 .
                Ha, I already threw up a link for that site. Extremely useful info on there.

With that site, and some advice through others, that's where I got the advice to use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 for my car with the oversized filter (K&N HP-2001 versus the normal HP-1001) In the cold weather (like now lul) it circulates super quick, and the usual valve tap I'd get in the cold (Last year I was using Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30, synthetic blend) no longer happens, at all. Yesterday, it was maybe close to 18*F out, and it started right up, no tap like I would with Valvoline.
                -Chris-
                03 Black GAGT Sedan
                MODS:
                MP Racing CAI / Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter / Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator
                Front STB / MSD Ignition: 8.5mm wires & blaster coils / SOME BIG GODDAMNED MUDFLAPS

Comment

Yeah I noticed you linked to BITOG after I posted . Syntec 0W30 is a good oil. Maxlife is a thick 5W30 and actually any normal or lighter 5W30 or 0W30 synthetic will flow better when cold. Mobil 1 0W30 AFE would be a good example. I'm not sure how much the mobil filters helps. It probably flows a little better than a higher efficiency oil filter but GM has the filter bypass on the engine mount and high efficiency filters like the PureOne with silicon anti-dranback vales are known to flow well too. I think it's mostly the better cold flowing oil quieting these types of engines.

Comment

Indeed, I've yet to get a valve tap this winter, it's real nice if you ask me. A few of my buddies thought I was outta my mind using a European spec oil in the LA1, but hey, after 5.5K, it's still clean, and circulates nicely in the 20ish degree mornings LI's been getting lately. I'm the one laughing in the end.
                    -Chris-
                    03 Black GAGT Sedan
                    MODS:

Comment

Working...
                    X