2.8 Take off emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 Take off emissions

I have an 85 Cherokee with the 2.8L. I want to take all the emissions crap off of it. Mainly because I am going to put the Hedmann headers on it and they dont have the inlets for the Air injection system. I want to take off the AIR pump and the inlet system. The only thing that I really need to keep is the vacumme for the 4x4 shift motor, and the power brakes.
    Has any one done anything like this?
    I am not worried about the Inspection from the state!
    Please Help
    Thanks

your best bet is just pull off the air pump and related stuff. id leave the rest of the stuff hooked up and functional, you arent gonna gain anything by removing them.

Comment

What other stuff is there really? I know there is a vacumme controlled crusie controll but I can live with out that. Any good links to Vacumme diagrams or tear downs?

Comment

you have the cruise controll. thats run of manifold vacume, but why get rid of it. there is absolutly no gains made from getting rid of it. as for emmissions controll, you will have an egr valve as well as a charcoal canister. by removing both, you will not get any power gains. the egr allows exaust gas back into the intake to promote more complete combustion, but this is during cruise speeds only. the charcoal canister is hooked to the fuel tank and it collects the fuel vapors that would normaly go into the atmosphere. it a certain time there is a solonoid that opens and the vapors are pulled into the intake.

Comment

Technically the EGR is designed to decrease combustion chamber temps to reduce NOx emissions typically in cruising conditions. As for the charcoal container, its supposed to open once you're moving. If you wanted to get rid of those to it wouldn't hurt anything but neither would you really gain anything either, as more knowledgable people than I have already mentioned. Personally I wouldn't waste the effort and just leave em on.

Comment

I don't use it. The gain is not going through and disconnecting all the vacuum when I have to fix something or a tune up. And the ARE gains to be made by not putting spent exhaust back through the intake. Plus if I get rid of all that junk I can put the edelbrock intake and Holly 390cfm 4 barrel carb. If I get rid of the charcoal box then I could run a 2 battery setup and run dual snorkels. Plus there is no computer in the thing at all that I know of, the lockup on the converter is controlled by a pressure solenoid, there is no ECM.
            Has anyone done a strictley race setup on a 2.8?

Comment

Well good luck on your plans. Btw the EGR only operates under cruising conditions so if you're at WOT its not operating; therefore no loss of power when power is in demand.

Comment

hmm didnt know that about the ERG. thanks It just looks alot better and cleaner. Plus as i SAaid before It takes about 2 hours off of every project just not to have to hook up the dam vaccum again, not to metion cracked and torn vac line. Nothing makes me more

Comment

thats the first thing i do when i buy a car rip of all vacuum lines and emissions stuff not because i gain much from it but because it looks cleaner
                  and when you do some repairs you dont have to take a 1h to take a bunch of stuff off.
                  and that edelbrock intake and carb set up should wake up your motor some 2
                  01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

Working...
                  X