83 s10 durango engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 s10 durango engine swap

the original 2.8 twisted its crank in two and now im looking to swap it with a 3.4 out of a 93-95 camaro i was wandering what kind of parts i should use internally to keep it from happening again i plan on using 350 rods edelbrock 4 barralle manifold with a 390 holley already have headers and roller rockers any ideas on cam preferrably lopey idle range between 2000-5500 also looking to keep cost around 1000-1500 any help would be appriciated

a crank failure is pretty much just that, to make it never happen again would mean a stronger crank. you shouldn't have to worry about it happening again, just make sure you got the right flywheel and your damper is good. good bearings too. as for the cam, the crane 260 is a popular one, and its gm performance couterpart is to. the 350 rods need to be modified but you probably know that if you checked the page out. the 4bbl and the headers you should have a good combo. to keep the cost down you should stick with the stock rods, in most cases they are good enough. i dont think there is that much of a differnce in the rod strength anyways, think about 300hp dispersed into 8 rods, and 200hp into 6. not a big "power per rod" difference.
    If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

You will not need a better crank or rods. Rods are already forged. The reason your crank broke is because it was a small journal crank and they sucked. The new ones are strong as hell and will not break as long as they see oil.

For a little lump at idle use a 270 cam from crane or comp.

See my website for the swap guide or follow the link in the engine swap section of this site.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

the 3.4 has a beefer crank that the early (80 - 85) 2.8s so as long as you don't run it out of oil you wont break it,and the sbc rod aren't needed unless you plan on spinning the wheee out of it, 7K+
        myself,I'd get a fageol supercharger and a 500 cfm 2bbl for it (or one of 614streets superchargers when they come out)
        1995 camaro 3.4 5-speed

Comment

614's kits are Fageols.

Instead of an Edelbrock manifold try and find an Offenhouser (sp?) manifold

Comment

I was going to mention as well that the early cranks had tiny journals and liked to fail.

Comment

Just for reference, the later (large main journal) 660s use a main journal diameter larger than teh 427 BBC.

Comment

well i was wanting the stronger rods and crank because its going to be offroad only and im going to need to keep the tires spinning to clear the mud plus hard shifts and just plain showing off revs and maybe seeing what it will run at the strip

Comment

stock rods are still more than plenty. there are motors running decent amounts of boost, putting out real respectable power numbers, and they still run stock rods. they are forged and rated for 7000rpm. if you beam polish them and put in arp rod bolts, they are even stronger.

Comment

Yup I have to agree. Money is better spent on a cam and valvetrain components. Crank and rods are very stout on these motors. Make sure the bitch has oil and it will love you forever.

Comment

Working...
                    X