60V6 Major Horsepower Bottleneck(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60V6 Major Horsepower Bottleneck(s)?

The stock 60V6s are all rated at rather low horsepower numbers. Given that the engine has a lot of potential, what exactly causes such low stock HP numbers?

shitty exhaust manifolds/downpipe would be my #1 offender.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      shitty exhaust manifolds/downpipe would be my #1 offender.
      I had a feeling that was one of the causes.

Are there 3100/3400 headers out there? Because if I can pick up an easy 30/40 horsepower by changing the headers and downpipe, I will.

Comment

WOT-Tech were making them for a while..... might be still.

but a word of advice is that pacesetter headers = BAD. horrible fitment issues along with a bad design.

30-40 from headers alone might be a stretch, but with some intake improvements(notably the large port UIM/LIM and larger throttle body), probably could see that, depending on what you start with.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

but a word of advice is that pacesetter headers = BAD. horrible fitment issues along with a bad design.

30-40 from headers alone might be a stretch, but with some intake improvements(notably the large port UIM/LIM and larger throttle body), probably could see that, depending on what you start with.
          I was already planning on grabbing a 3400 throttle body for my 3100 off WOT-Tech, because that's a couple minutes of work for a couple more horsepower. Can't go wrong.

Comment

There is alot left on the table in the camshaft as well.

A cam only otherwise stock 3400 can likely pickup 40HP +
            11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
            10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

It's good to know that there's a good amount of power that can be pulled from a 3100/3400 without going straight to forced induction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
                There is alot left on the table in the camshaft as well.

A cam only otherwise stock 3400 can likely pickup 40HP +
                Agreed, the stock cam sucks.

It also depends on what 60v6 you're talking about though, gen1's have junk heads, gen 2's have junk heads stock but they can be ported to flow decently, but their LIM/UIM combo kills most porting gains. Gen 3's flow good stock but can really flow with good porting.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                  Agreed, the stock cam sucks.

It also depends on what 60v6 you're talking about though, gen1's have junk heads, gen 2's have junk heads stock but they can be ported to flow decently, but their LIM/UIM combo kills most porting gains. Gen 3's flow good stock but can really flow with good porting.
                  A 1995 3100 SFI is Gen 2 or 3, right?

Comment

early "Small port" gen 3. 94-99 3100's have smaller runners as you can see in this picture: (hopefully it shows up)

Those 3100's can gain some noticeable power by swapping to a large port lower and upper intake from any year 3400 or a 2000+ 3100.
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Making a set of headers right now
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

Is an intake swap a simple case of getting a new intake and gasket set? I'm not sure if the LIM bolt locations are the same when comparing a 3400 large port intake to a 3100 intake. If not, I would have to drill and tap all new bolt holes...

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          Making a set of headers right now
                          always good news.

Originally posted by ItsVince725 View Post
                          Is an intake swap a simple case of getting a new intake and gasket set? I'm not sure if the LIM bolt locations are the same when comparing a 3400 large port intake to a 3100 intake. If not, I would have to drill and tap all new bolt holes...
                          where the LIM bolts to the heads is identical, the large port intakes have a different UIM to LIM bolt pattern, which is what you're seeing in that pic. so long as you use a larger port UIM with a larger port LIM, you'll be fine.

you'll also have a few smaller issues to deal with due to being a 95, but they really aren't that significant.
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

That's what I wanted to know, I plan on using both a large port UIM and LIM but wanted to make sure the large port LIM would bolt to the existing head bolt locations.

Comment

Just do what I didn't. Spend the money on ported 3400 intakes and have the hole for the coolant by-pass tube tapped to work with your stock tube.
                              I'm not sure what "level" of porting is ok with OBD1.5. That is if you want to avoid tuning.
                              95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
                              High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
                              Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Working...
                              X