Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need More Power

Hello all,

I recently acquired a newer car (see My Vehicles under My Profile). It has the 3400 sfi, is there a single thing I can do to obtain more power assuming it already functioning optimally?

Thanks,
    2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

Welcome to the forums! That single thing all depends on how deep your pockets are and what route you take. Were you looking for something bolt on, Internal, computer tune/chip or entire engine swap?
    2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)

2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

1998 Sandrift Metallic Buick Century Limited (Traded in)

Comment

I am looking for both electronic and bolt on solutions. Got a few hundred to throw at it. Engine swap is certainly out of the question. Thanks for the quick response!
      2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

Comment

start with a 65mm throttle body, CAI, and change the muffler, or just ditch it, it wont be that loud with the factory resinator in place lol

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Perfect, any electronic suggestions?
          2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

Comment

none really, build your own CAI and save some $ if you can get a welder, it would cost you about 90$ to build a really decent intake, if you need info i'll give you some ideas on supplys and where to get some parts. Tuning wouldnt be worth to much till more work is done to the motor if thats the plan, and i personally dont suggest putting a resistor in the air temp sensor, if anything, extend the wires for the sensor and plug it in the intake as far away from the motor as possible.

Also, this is a personal belief, i would block off the EGR at the intake, or eliminate it all together.
            Last edited by bob442; 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

the first thing would be to do the u bend delete. in the exhaust. then you can get a programer for the ECU.a 3500 UIM would be a gain.
              01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

So where does the ECU go when you do a CAI instal?

Comment

simply go to a wrecker and get a ECM bracket from a 4th gen F body, or 3rd gen blazer, and bolt it to the body structure benieth the original air box. if you want to build your own, order a 3" small radious mandural bent 180* pipe out of galvinized, and for the couplers use plumbing couplings from a homedepot, and for a filter just go to a autozone or something, a filter can be routed into the fender well for an actual CAI

Comment

Have the VIP membership at the pull-a-part so that option will do.

/threadjack
                    Last edited by Merc6; 12-14-2011, 12:32 AM.

Comment

A tune would add some drivability changes that you would enjoy. Such as modifying shift points, top speed governor delete/modification, changing fan turn on temps, etc. I may be mistaken, but I think you car is tunable with HPTuners, if there is a shop in the area that works with it - that would be an affordable and worthwhile investment.

14.60 @ 96.33 for now...

Comment

Working...
                      X