2.8 performance upgrade suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 performance upgrade suggestion?

This is my first post...clearly many of you are front wheel drive enthusiasts, but here is my project a 1993 S10 with 2.8 liter and 5 spped manual. I welcome your technical input. After all that's why I'm here. I'm not interested in whether or not you like my rusted POS or not, or if you aren't into low riders (neither am I). But if you're like me you want to use what you have and don't mind making some Frankenstein concoction. I haven't the use of a garage of my own so I want to limit what I can do to outside my front door. This is my driver but not my only car so it can sit for a long weekend if it has to no problem.

My plans are as follows; Install the Torker intake but mod it to except EFI, I would like to use the TBI unit from a 4.3 liter with the 2.8 injectors. Install a junkyard electric fan from a Ford Taurus. Followed but a cam and rocker arms. Finally I might swap rear end gears also.

My goal is to make the truck more fun to drive. I don't have the desire to do a V8 swap at this point. I have another vehicle in mind for that.

well all in all it would be less work to swap a 3400 and run it off of MPFI or SFI, i cant remember what you have to do to the bell housing if anything. but i can tell you a FI 3400 will produce more power stock than the 2.8 will with mods, while holding better fuel economy, this can also be done easly outside.

You could also do a hybrid swap of 3100 or 3400 SFI top end and run it off of MFPI or SFI, that way your working with what you have, and you shouldnt have to pull the motor. That will net better end results.

I've wanted to make pretty much plug and play engine harness for a s10 for a while for the guys who are scared of FI
    Last edited by bob442; 04-13-2011, 05:57 PM.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Usually when someone inquires about modding a 2.8 they are told to swap-in a 3.4 and with good reason,160 hp / 200 ft lb. If you are sticking with the 2.8 just use your stock tbi intake with the throttle bores enlarged for the 4.3 tbi,there's nothing to be gained by using the torker intake,use the money for a cam [260 ish] and free up your exhaust. I used the cheap dynomax catback [with or without cat] and it sounds sweet.

Comment

I had figured that the Camaro 3.4 engine would be a good swap. But if I am going to change the engine I would just step up and use a 5.3 LS engine. I don't really want to get into that at this point. I bought a 2.8 toker 2 intake for cheap and have a friend who says they can make an adapter to keep the TBI. I already have an cat back exhaust, and the cam would be easy to do too.

Comment

A 3400 swap is not realistic given the goal you have. But I think you are on the right path.

The Edelbrock intake does provide longer runners than the stock one but I am not sure it is worth any extra power. But if you can get a top made it may be worth a try. If your interested I sell a big bore TBI kit that includes everything you need to bolt on a 4.3L TBI and bored intake manifold.

A COMP Cams 260 K kit will be a great addition to a bigger intake

I would follow all that with a set of Hedman headers.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks, for the info. I have read every word on your webpage. It is what made me think that there may be some hope for that little tiny engine.

Comment

Working...
            X