Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which front pulley arrangement is best for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which front pulley arrangement is best for me?

OK so I am the guy installing a 3500 into a 1980 Monza. I have plenty of clearance in the front of the engine bay, so that is not going to be an issue.
    Is there a 60 degree V6 pulley arrangement that when installed in a RWD arrangement will place the
    Alternator-Top Left (drivers)
    Power Steering Pump-Bottom Left
    A/C compressor-Top Right (passengers)
    And what vehicle should I look for to steal all of this bracketry from?
    Thanks
    Roy

I haven't looked at the configuration, but I'm guessing your best bet would be to get a front cover and bracketry from a 60v6 Camaro/Firebird.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Ok, here's a pic of Dave's 3500 in his Camaro, utilizing the Camaro front cover and bracketry.

-Brad-
      sigpic

Comment

The F body arrangements that I have looked at place the Alternator on the passenger side and the A/C compressor on the drivers side, which is the opposite of what would be best for me. Perhaps there is a specific year that puts them where I want?
        Roy

Comment

The S-10 is the same. It has the alt on right and AC on left. However the PS pump will be on the lower left like you want.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Actually Daves arrangement looks like the A/C compressor is supposed to be under the Alternator. Is that correct? That probably wouldnt be too hard to deal with, getting wires over to the alternator is easy, it is sending the A/C hoses across to the drivers side that would be a real pain.
            Roy

Comment

Might be able to get John (Forced Firebird) from 60* Inclusive to fab something up... http://60inclusive.com/index.php?pag...php&p=john3500
              -Brad-
              sigpic

Comment

I made my own alt. mount but it wasn't hard... The PS pump mount is stock.

11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
                10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Well today I did some junkyard scrounging and I cannot find anything that places the components where I had hoped to.
                  The best placement for me looks to be from an old mid 80s style camaro or S-10 that still utilized the V-belt system. It probably uses the most "old school" components as well, that would be most compatible with my monzas wiring and systems. But it also uses the old style non offset water pump arrangement. Does anyone know if this water pump/pulley assembly can be bolted to the front of a 3500?
                  If not it looks like the next best thing out there is going to be the later Camaro style arrangement Dave used, but that presents its own set of problems.
                  Roy

Comment

The 3.4 f-body has the A/C under the alternator on the pass side and p/s on the drivers'. The earlier f-body has the AIR pump under the alternator on the pass side and the A/C on top of the P/S pump on the drivers'. You can modify the AIR pump bracket to accept an alternator pretty easily, as I did in my car for turbo clearance.

Have you looked at the Trooper arrangement? IIRC they had a little bit different locations, but don't remember exactly off hand.

As far as the water pump, you can use the timing cover that matches to solve that issue, just be aware that on some of the covers, there's and extra passage on the RWD blocks that the 3500 doesn't have and the coolant will be exposed to atmosphere.

And Brad, thanks for the plug
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

All Isuzu arrangements are identical to S-10's. I would avoid V belts at all costs. Serp belts are just so much better and easier to live with.
                      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                      X