will a CAM work with my TBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a CAM work with my TBI

im about to drop in a 3.4 camaro into my 92 s10, all need now is a good, but im unsure if the stock cumputer will work with it. i will be using the s10 TBI with 4.3 injectors. truck will be daily driven its a 5spd by the way. the cam im thinking about is a crane 260. if i can go bigger and keep it DAILY friendly im up for that. let me know what you guys think about this.
    s10s ive owned
    87-2dr 2wd blazer 6/7 drop-sold and missed
    82-s10 pickup long bed-sold thank god
    86-2dr 2wd blazer 6in. lift 31" tires-sold
    92-s10 pickup ext cab3.4L-6/7 drop

Yup you can run the Crane or Comp 260 cam just fine. Lots of people have done it. I would not run the 272 cam from Crane it is a little hot for every day driving and would require tuning to work good.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I've had the crane 260 and the 3.4 crate cam,both work great.You're not using the 4.3 inj on the 2.8 tbi are you.

Comment

Originally posted by ezrollin View Post
        I've had the crane 260 and the 3.4 crate cam,both work great.You're not using the 4.3 inj on the 2.8 tbi are you.
        yes thats what im planing to do, 4.3 tb,with 4.3 injectors on a port matched 2.8 intake manifold.
        s10s ive owned

Comment

The 3.4 won't fit your 4.3 bellhousing(if they come off I don't know). I'm assuming you're replacing a 4.3? With the questions concerning the 4.3 parts it kinda looked like it. If you know all this, nevermind.
          '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Hamilton View Post
            The 3.4 won't fit your 4.3 bellhousing(if they come off I don't know). I'm assuming you're replacing a 4.3? With the questions concerning the 4.3 parts it kinda looked like it. If you know all this, nevermind.
            No he is putting a 3.4L into his truck and using 4.3L injectors on a 4.3L Throttle body with a bored intake. A pretty standard swap.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
              No he is putting a 3.4L into his truck and using 4.3L injectors on a 4.3L Throttle body with a bored intake. A pretty standard swap.
              I'm doing the same swap on my 3.4 [4.3 tbi / 4.3 injs.] and need to have the manifold bored.Anything I need to know other than keeping the bores perpendicular to tbi mounting surface?

Comment

cheapest i found for that cam is 180 shipped with lifters from superiorchevyperformance.com .any one know of a cheaper place.
                part #12364059 which is the same cam as the crane
                s10s ive owned

Comment

I would suggest a Complete Comp Cams K kit. Comes with springs, retainers, locks and seals. Its well worth it. Ran me just over $300. You cannot use stock springs so you should consider the cost of the extra parts you need.

Comment

You cannot use stock springs so you should consider the cost of the extra parts you need.
                    Why not? I was planning on using my stock 3.4L springs with my Crane 260 at least for break in, then change them later if I saw fit.
                    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

I would suggest a Complete Comp Cams K kit. Comes with springs, retainers, locks and seals. Its well worth it. Ran me just over $300. You cannot use stock springs so you should consider the cost of the extra parts you need.
                      i already have some springs and push rods, for that cam.
                      s10s ive owned

Comment

which springs and pushrods?
                        '86 Grand National

Comment

when i was first looking for a cam a few months back, i was looking a the crane 260 on summits web site, i got the ones on their recomended parts list. they are made by crane. i wasnt ready to buy the cam yet, now thats all i need.

when these motors are tunned for bigger cams and such, what is used to tune em?
                          s10s ive owned

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonero View Post
                            Why not? I was planning on using my stock 3.4L springs with my Crane 260 at least for break in, then change them later if I saw fit.
                            If they don't bind then yea you can use them for break in. But the stock springs wont handle a cam with descent lift once the RPM's get high.

Comment

i have anther question about CAMing a 3.4, will itt really be worth the extra $200+ dolllars its gonna cost me?? i mean the rest of the engine will be bone stock,maybe headers.

will it really be a good improvment or a stock cam?
                              s10s ive owned

Comment

Working...
                              X