3100 Ciera Budget Mod Planning/Worklog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3100 Ciera Budget Mod Planning/Worklog

Hello All! Mike827 here, I'm new to these forum's, just thought I'd say hello.

Summary at the bottom for those who don't like reading

Now lets get down to business.

I have in my possession a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL with a 3100SFI engine that has over 120k miles on it.

However, the engine runs strong and I have had no mechanical or electrical issues with the car whatsoever.

I'm no mechanic, but ever since I was young I worked on this car with my Grandfather, and I am very technically inclined (even more so with electronics), I do my own maintenance, install my own stereos, etc.

I see on this site that there is a wealth of information, however I'm trying to figure out what would be cost effective to increase performance.

I should let you guys know that I'm not expecting to have a race car, I just want to unleash a little more power which I can feel is lurking just out of reach.

I was planning on installing an intake and getting a larger diameter downpipe for the exhaust, but I was wondering what else you guys can suggest. (For example, I had never even thought about putting on a larger diameter throttle body)

Also, I was curious as to what exactly is accomplished by swapping on 3400/3500 parts onto the 3100 making a hybrid. (or am I misinterpreting the concept.)

I am hoping to turn this thread into a nice discussion about possible mods/options I have at my disposal, and ultimately into the worklog, so I will keep you guys posted!

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long read!

SUMMARY:
    CAR: Olds Cutty Ciera v6 3.1L 3100SFI 120k miles
    1. Hi, what can I do to my 3100 to make it faster, not looking for nascar, just better.
    2. I thought of intake and exhaust already, but didnt think of TB replacement, what else can you suggest?
    3. What is the point of making a hybrid 3400/3500/3100 engine?
    4. This thread will be source of my thoughts and ultimately build so check back.

Unfortunately with you car, I'm 99% sure a TB swap is not an option. The 94 and 95 A-bodies had a unique 3100 in that the MAF and TB were a single unit. There is a chance you could swap in another MAF. I think some people have tried this, but I can't remember if anyone actually succeeded or not. Exhaust is definitely somewhere that you can get rid of some restrictions though.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

could be an expensive alternative but you could use an adjustable mass air meter with a larger tb. i was thinking of doing that with my buick, it has the same type of set up with the 3300.
      '86 Grand National

Comment

Hmm, this is a little disappointing... I'm pretty certain I could get a 62mm TB from a junkyard, i was hoping it would bolt on to the 3100 no problem, If the MAF sensor is part of the throttle body on the 3100 where would it need to be if i replaced the TB, somewhere on the intake ducting?

Dosn't sound like it would be too hard to drill a hole and mount the sensor.

Also, what size down pipe would I need to get, is there one from another A-body that would fit? and should i replace the rest of the exhaust as well?

Comment

If his 3100 is anything like the one I had in my 1995 GA GT, then there is no MAF sensor. They just had a map sensor only. Take a pic and post it.. This way we will know for sure...

Comment

The intakes are differant on the cutlass ceira I think they were the only car that had that set up on them.

Comment

if I'm not mistaken the Grand Am is a W body yet still has the same 3100SFI engine, so wouldn't that mean the TB sensor combo would be similar? its possible I do not have a MAF in that case... I am going to look up the specs and get back to you if I can find out. Also, what should I look for under the hood to find out?

Comment

The Grand Am as I have is a N body, I think. But believe me, there is no MAF.

Comment

Hmmm, I'll try and post some pics of my TB and airbox and such, however I'm out of town and wont be home for a week!

I can have a buddy of mine check it out, any idea where he should look? And if i replace the TB, can I buy a 3rd party MAF and mount it somewhere else if I can wire it properly?

EDIT: that makes no sense we just discussed that, I will try and find out if my 95 ciera has a MAF and get back to you.

EDIT EDIT: Ok found it, IsaacHayes wrote in this thread http://60degreev6.com/forum/f104/199...g-t38777/page3
                  I think you have the a-body with the weird TB/MAF setup on your 3100 and you have a removeable chip. www.tunercat.com supports your ecm.
                  He was talking to GoldCiera who has a 1995 Cutlass Ciera SL with the same engine as me which he posted pics of http://60degreev6.com/forum/f106/eng...lled-up-t40982 there <<

thanks in advance guys!!
                  Last edited by mike827; 12-11-2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Grand am didn't have MAF sensors until 96 and newer. May-be your cutlass ciera can use one of these MAF sensors, ask around someone knows. Then you would be able to put a biger thotle body on, after you change the intake.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, so all I have to do is determine how to wire up a compatible MAF. Additionally, I will need to make my own intake to match the throttle body diameter.

Next order of business, is 2.5" the most compatible downpipe size?

anyone have any experience? I saw the thread with the l67 swap changed the downpipe size, but alittle unsure as to what sizes are acceptable.

Comment

Almost forgot, I'm looking to drop in a new gauge cluster that has an tach on it! I hate not having a tach...

anyone know what car will fit? I think the older cutlass supremes (before they went digital) should work, but does anyone know if it will wire up correctly, or if i will have the double rpm problem?

Comment

Working...
                        X