S&S Headers OMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&S Headers OMG

Finally had a chance to get the Corsi running today and I couldn't resist taking it for a test drive with the headers open. OMG The combination of the headers and the Corsica being lighter than the Beretta is unbelievable. This car is way faster than the Beretta ever was, but I think that I may have to do some work on the tune because of the headers. Anyway, the S&S headers are well worth the money and the time it took to mod them to fit my car. I can't wait until spring to hit the strip!

worthless without vids!

Yes, the headers will change the VE considerably. Time to add more fuel at 90Kpa and above.. and probably reduce fuel below.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
      worthless without vids!

Yes, the headers will change the VE considerably. Time to add more fuel at 90Kpa and above.. and probably reduce fuel below.
      Man, you are good! LOL I managed a short datalog before my computer froze up and that's exactly what it looked like to me. I am going to get it to the muffler shop in the morning and then I'll try to get a few good logs to post for input as I'm still a little confused on dialing the VE tables.

Comment

The S&S headers are pretty damn good, and are worth a tenth and a half closed and 4 tenths open on my car. And 4 MPH!

But Rodney has had a bugger of a time getting it all tuned.

Superdave has had some much appreciated suggestions, but YES, they are worth every dime.

I had to 86 the front sway bar to get them on, but the drag strips I frequent only have the one turn, and it's a slow one at the end, LOL!

Comment

Aslyum, get a damn new style sway bar on there!!! Hell if you weren't far away I'd give you my 22mm FE1 bar at least LOL

Headers I bet on that modded engine made a huge difference. You went from small port logs to headers, on a modified cammed, high compression 3500 top end. Just a stock 3400 they are good for like 20 at the wheels... haha
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

It feels like I added two more cylinders. LOL I have been parting out a '95 Z26 so I used the 28mm front bar off of it and picked up a 19mm rear bar from a Corsi at the jy. It handles pretty good now.

Comment

glad to see that it all worked out for u and that ur happy. i cant wait myself to see what times u'll pull in the spring and if they ever come out w/ these rolloer rockers im sure u'd be even more happy w/ ur build as that can change the characteristics also of the way the car pulls
              94 BerrettaZ26 3400,5 spd, aluminum flywheel, stg3+ spec clutch, poly mounts everywhere, strut and strut to rad braces, s&s headers, euro mirrors, and taillights, E36 headlights, blk widow spoiler, GTU rimz, intrax, KYB, OBD2 swap rear disk swap with ss lines and ss clutch line, addco rear bar

07 Chrysler 300 Base, with C frt bumper blk halo headlights and foglights. Coming soon tinted taillights and 22". The Family ride

Comment

Someone once told me that running direct open headers was a bad thing because it could cause cold air to travel back up the headers and meet the valves and cause extreme temperature changes with the valves causing deformation/other damage. A cutout was OK to them though because it was typically down further from the actual header flange.

Any truth to this?
                SpudFiles
                Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
                Theopia
                Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
                3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
                  Someone once told me that running direct open headers was a bad thing because it could cause cold air to travel back up the headers and meet the valves and cause extreme temperature changes with the valves causing deformation/other damage. A cutout was OK to them though because it was typically down further from the actual header flange.

Any truth to this?
                  NO!!!

Unless you are talking about running an engine without any manifold or header.

But then that would be just silly.

And Issaac, thanx, but I'm fine without the extra 20 pounds or so.

The car gets driven so little that I don't miss it.
                  Last edited by asylummotorsports; 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Well, I finally got a couple of datalogs and it does need some changes made. The first log has an eight mile highway cruise and the second log has three full power runs on it. I had major trouble getting traction on the first two runs and it kept bouncing off the rev limiter, but I was on some good concrete pavement on the third one. The torque is awesome, but it definitely ran better with the headers open. I guess I'll have to tune it to run good on the street for now and when I get to the track in the spring I'm going to make another tune for the strip. Then I'll have two tunes and I can just switch back and forth as I need to. Any ideas on improving this tune?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X