huge dessison maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huge dessison maker

i wanted to know if replacing the intake on the 3.1 with the 3.4 intake will make more power will i have to switch heads too?

Yes you can change them. No you wont have to change heads. The 3.4L intake is better but I am not sure how much.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

The 3400 intakes are large port and the '97 3100s are small port. Also, the 2000 and later 3400 upper intakes flow better than the earlier ones. Plus you could use the 3400 TB, although then you would need to free up your exhaust flow to take advantage of the increased intake flow. Engines are basically air pumps, which means if you put more air in (better intakes) you will put more air out.
      Last edited by johnnymossville; 07-23-2008, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Well I was talkin Iron head stuff which I see now is wrong since he has a 97 Lumina. So the post is about 3100 and 3400 intakes. But in any case the same rule applies.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

i have another idea about changeing the engine to a 3.4 dohc how can i go about that?

Comment

dual cam heads wont fit on single cam blocks

Comment

so would it be worth the power gain to change engines tranny and computer?

Comment

What car is this for?

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Comment

Per his Vehicle Information dropdown, its a 97 Chevy Lumina with the 3100.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

if i where you i would stay with the push rod motor way more dependable !
                    if you bottom end is good just do a 00+ top end swap and if your motor is tired do a 3400 motor swap and start from there
                    01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                      Per his Vehicle Information dropdown, its a 97 Chevy Lumina with the 3100.
                      Ah I forgot about that thing.

As montess said above, you can swap a complete 3400 top end onto your 3100. From what I understand you do not have to swap the 3400 heads if you don't want to, but I believe the ports won't line up properly with the 3100 heads and it isn't optimal. The 3400 heads have larger ports, and an all around better cast.

I also believe if you switch to a 3.4DOHC from any year you are going to have to rewire the car because the Pushrod and DOHC motors are very different. If you are looking for performance, the DOHC is hard due to its lack of aftermarket.

An almost direct swap in would be a 3400 motor which will give you a better base, your other options are a 3400/3500 hybrid or a straight up 3500.

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Comment

3400 and 3100 head ports are exactly the same, the valve is .02 larger but thats not enough to help/hurt something... It's the upper runners that are the biggest difference.

Got Lope?
                        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                          3400 and 3100 head ports are exactly the same, the valve is .02 larger but thats not enough to help/hurt something... It's the upper runners that are the biggest difference.
                          I do learn something new everyday

Comment

would it be cheaper to do a the 3400 swap or just bore the 3100 and top end swap, with some cam and valve work?

Comment

I dont know if you can bore a 3100 block to 3400 size, and also cam and valve work on a 3100 with 3400 top end will do more power than a 3400 alone.

Got Lope?
                              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Working...
                              X