I really need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need help!!

Ok.. I am the new owner of a 1996 Corsica with the 3100 V6. Now, this is going to be a project for me. I am not trying to do anything CRAZY with the motor, but I do want to help the baby "breathe" a little better, and help fuel economy too.. Can I use an airbox (upper intake manifold) from a 99 grand prix and not have to change both the upper and lower manifold?? I am also curious to find out if you think headers would be a good idea? Like I said, I am not trying to spend an ungodly amount of money on this engine, but I was thinking if I got a better airbox, a set of headers, and a good performance flash module, maybe she would breathe a little better and get a little better fuel economy.. Finances are a factor, but recommendations are certainly welcome. It runs really good, but I think I can get a little more out of it. Can you help me here?

Thanks
    shawn

i would get both upper and lower intakes from a newer 3400. or a newer 3100 either one, its a direct swap, and not hard at ALL. would deffinatly get alot better gas millage. and better performance. now with the headers, itll be a bit more of an expence then anything. but it is a major MAJOR help. deffinatly get better gas millage, and thats the biggest holdup on these engines also, so yes, it would DEFFINATLY help to get both.
    sigpic

Comment

In order to put the better flowing plenum on, you need to swap both the upper and lower, as the newer style upper well not bolt to the older style lower. It is a pretty straight forward swap and will net you a small amount of hp.

As far as headers go, there isn't anything out there that will fit off-the-shelf into a Corsica. The ones designed for a GA require modification to the rear header in order to clear the firewall. And there is only 1 company that makes them (S&S Headers), so you will pay a premium for them before you even get a chance to modify them. But they are worth the price.
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Thanks for that info.. any info you can give me about a possible ecu flash? or will the ecu "learn" about the changes made and adjust accordingly?

Here are some of the things I am gonna do to it as finances will allow:
        New shocks/struts. New brakes (calipers, drums, pads and shoes), New hub assemblies (front and rear), New CV axles, (and now) new ported 3100 intake manifold, headers(custom or purchased), paint, wheels and tires..

basically, it feels like a resto-mod project.. but, I will be driving it while I am modifying it.

I will post pics as my progress improves..

thanks
        Shawn

Afterthought: If I have a '96 3100 SFI and I swap for the ported 3100 setup offered by WOT-TECH, will I have to switch anything else??? also what year model car has a better ecu for me to use?? I am looking at getting a HP Tuner setup and I need to know what ecu to get so i can get the right program.. Thanks again for the help..
        Last edited by lilrebel68; 06-07-2008, 07:47 PM.

Comment

hey guys.. where can i get an underdriven pulley set for my '96 Corsica?

Comment

Working...
          X