3400 Modified or 3400 Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 Modified or 3400 Hybrid

Alrighty, I've got my plan finally for which engine I want to get. I've axed the L67 completely off my list, partly because of difficulty of the swap compared to a 3400 and partially because of its brutal fuel economy. I mean, that tentative when it come to modding, but I have a feeling it won't be getting any better, at least the 60degree won't get too much worse. Besides, I'd rather reach my goal with a 60degree anyway. ENOUGH RAMBLING ALREADY:

So my goal is 240 crank horsepower, with roughly the same torque or more depending on what happens (really I'm looking to pull the same power numbers as a stock L67, but I'm hoping I can do it cheaper than the swap would be and do it N/A

So now its just weighing the pros and cons of two setups, and what you guys think about it.

SETUP 1:

Full 3400SFI
    Custom Ported Heads
    WOT-TECH Ported Manifolds (I may do these custom)
    Comp Valve Springs
    WOT-TECH Street Cam
    S&S Headers
    TCE 65MM TB

SETUP 2:

3400/3500 Hybrid
    Custom Ported Heads
    WOT-TECH Ported Manis (also may do custom)
    S&S Headers
    TCE 65MM TB

*Note: I think just to make this swap easy I will be using the 3400 UIM

I haven't got completely concrete prices but I have a feeling I will not be able to get a cam if I do the hybrid on my planned budget. I am hoping to get the engine and a tuner this summer and start working on it. It all depends on other costs though, I'm planning on doing body work this summer, which includes paint (though I will be doing that myself). I'm also planning on making a set of coilovers this summer if all goes well. However all in all my single greatest expense will be the tuner if I can't find something cheap.

Either way, what do you guys think?

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

I'd go with the 3400/3500 hybrid and 65mm tb. Ben at WOT-TECH has run some simulations and a stock 3400 has like 176 crank hp, but a stock 3400 with stock 3500 heads and a 65 mm tb has around 213 crank hp. Thats a 37 crank hp increase.
    Now if you have a stock 3400 with street ported 3500 top end (heads, lim, and uim) and 65mm tb, you should have around 238 hp at the crank while bumping the power range up 1000 rpm. How does that sond?

Comment

Choice number 2, but with a well rounded cam(not literally), and good valve springs. Take the extra time to save money for the cam, it will be worth it.
      95 Beretta- Lg8 Daily Driver
      94 Beretta z26- First ever 5-speed 3500 L body- In the works.

Comment

Stock 3400 is around 185 crank, stock large port 3100 is 175 crank. This is with factory tunes and factory exhausts. 3500 LXP (non-vvt) is 200 crank.

For power, option2 with the 3500 plenum and a cam. I don't know why people think it's so hard to swap on (the plenum). I had all the stuff I needed and put it on in a day, and that was including putting on a different lower intake, which I had to take off and re-grind some more to clear my rockers!!
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Well thats a good way to look at it. I think that answers the question of which route I should take. I suppose I could negate the S&S headers for know, though I would like to get it all at once. I need to get prices on everything as it stands right now anyway, so I'll just leave everything on the table until I figure that out.

Perhaps I should just work my budget around that...

I'm not sure if I want to go above 240CHP with this build though, I'm still running drums in the rear and I want to be sure my trans can handle the power. I'm not entirely sure though, I just don't want to overdo it right away (ie: I just want to be cautious).

However if I can reach my goal without getting a cam, I think I will drop it as it will save me roughly $600 (thats the cam, valve springs and pushrods to match) which I can use on my suspension. Suspension to me is just as important as horsepower numbers, and yes I actually do enjoy driving my Lumi, its pretty darn nimble for its size (it actually has a smaller turning radius than a neon, although that neon I drove was a POS) so I'd like to build that up.

I'll give that some thought though, and I'll start pondering the brakes next. I was planning on getting performance rotors for the front, and if necessary I will swap out for disks in the rear (assuming this is necessary, but I want to be safe as well).

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Comment

I'd do the cam, because you gain a good amount of power, it makes your motor sound bad-ass, and it's not a mod you can do easily once the motor is in the car. If you want to hold off on stuff, hold off on the TB, just use the 3400 one for a while, that will save you some dough, and you can always bolt it on later. I'd probably do the headers and full exhaust all at once, when the motor is going in.

Also you will need a DHP to tune this beast... so figure in that cost...

Don't worry about drums in the rear. The front brakes do most of the work. You can upgrade to F-body brakes easily since you have the same hub pattern. You'd just need the calipers, bracket, rotors and possibly the knuckles from a newer W body but you may already have them.. Well, you'll need big wheels to clear it if you don't already have it.
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Alright that sounds like a good idea to me, I have heard the sound a cam make on the hybrid from the Pinky Project Thread) and it does sound fantastic. I also want to do a full exhaust all at once, it is just easier that way. For the time being I'm just using the dual exhaust system off my Z34. I think I'm going to use the 3400 manifolds and have a new downpipe made.

I have thought about that, and I plan on getting one ahead of time before I actually buy the engine. Actually I plan it to be the first mod I buy this summer, I was talking to my friend and he wants to get rid of his for cheap. I'm also thinking of swapping to a 97 PCM to unlock a few more of the tables for tuning.

As for the brakes, I'll have to research that. Last I heard the F-Body brakes won't work on the 1.5 Gen Lumina/Monte as there are difference that don't allow it to fit, but I could be wrong about that. I do have 17inch rims I ride on in the summer, which should work with that, however my 15 inch steelies for my winter tires may have an issue with fitment.

Comment

Yeah I dont know if your spindles will bolt up or not, or if you can swap to newer ones... berettas, and sunfires can swap to the grand am ones but then we gotta change wheel bearings and bolt pattern and outter axle... But it can be made to work...

You could just get the motor in, and hold off on exhaust and then do it all at once too. It would be restrictive but then you could do headers and full exhaust all at once and boom big power increase. If I had a car that fit headers without re-working the headers I would have them.
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I plan on doing a similar if not the same swap some time this summer into my cavalier. I am very interested to see how all of this turns out so be sure to post updates

Comment

Yeah I'll have to do some research into whether the F-Body seyup will be able to work or not. I'll definitely look into it though.

As for the headers, I may do those after the fact, because really the engine needs to be in the car to make sure they will fit. I think I can modify the firewall while the engine is out though to make my life easier.

Originally posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
                    I plan on doing a similar if not the same swap some time this summer into my cavalier. I am very interested to see how all of this turns out so be sure to post updates
                    I will keep you updated, I'm not sure if I will be able to get the engine in this summer, but hopefully it will be finished. I'll keep you updated on progress.

Comment

I was just thinking, and there is a portion of this build I haven't fully considered and really should. So I'm going to ask about it now.

2 things: Ignition and Fuel Delivery.

For the hybrid with a cam, would I need to upgrade anything with the ignition, and even if I don't should I just do it anyway? Its something I have looked at briefly but I am not sure where and what parts I should get.

Secondly, will the stock injectors provide enough fuel or do I need to upgrade to L67 injectors or something similar?

Comment

Stock ignition will be fine.
                        -Brad-
                        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                        sigpic
                        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Hybrid with cam will need bigger injectors. Stock ignition will be fine, even boosted/etc. It's very strong stock.
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Sounds good! Can't wait to get started.

Comment

I'm kinda bumping/hijacking this to see where your at.

I just got myself a 3400 and will be starting to build it up hopefully the same way sidewinder is. I got some questions though. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to a 5 speed swap or not and was wondering if a Th-125 would be able to handle this kind of power?

Comment

Working...
                              X