Water Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump

Is there a preferred water pump for the 2.8/3.1 RWD? A high volumn or something to that effect? I had one on a SBC but I can't remember who I got from. Worked great, engine in a jeep.
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

No there is no difference. However a Camaro pump will not allow you to run a cooling fan you need to use electrics. But an S-10 pump will allow for a cooling fan and also has a larger pully which will use less power but have slightly less flow.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks. I looked all over and didn't see anything offered for a 2.8 promising greater flow.
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

The chevy power manual says you can cut out in intake section and weld on a larger port. But honestly you will not need this much cooling. These engines dont have an inherent cooling shortfall.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
          The chevy power manual says you can cut out in intake section and weld on a larger port. But honestly you will not need this much cooling. These engines dont have an inherent cooling shortfall.

Agreed, only high RPM endurance type racing would require something like that when it comes to cooling, though I will be modifying my cooling system just a bit to make sure it will be fine.

Comment

I read somewhere that cylinders 5 & 6 run hotter, develop piston slap and detonation first. It only makes sense since the coolant enters the front of the engine and exits the the rear. By the time it gets to the last cylinder, the water is already warm and can't cool as well.

The LX9s oil squirters were suppose to be somewhat of a fix but the newest engines have squiters on all pistons and a U-flow cooling system to be a more complete fix. Wonder if they will ever go to a reverse flow setup like some other engines have?
            MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
            '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
            http://www.tcemotorsports.com
            http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Working...
            X