Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dentrimental to performance/economy is..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dentrimental to performance/economy is..

running with the TPS disconnected? Ya. Because it's been. For about a month :irk: Man I'm pissed. The TPS is shot, and the car wont start w/ it plugged in. And I guess one day I forgot it's unplugged. THIS is why my car has been running shitty. Oooooh boy you guys dont know how pissed I am! But is this why on highway miles I could only pull in 20mpg, 3/4 tank only gets me 100 miles, give or take? And why my car is sluggish, poor idle etc?
    Thanks,
    Matt
    '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Yeah, the cars computer doesn't know how much throttle your commanding it to give. I'm pretty sure there is some kind of default fueling table the car goes to when some sensors are acting up. Makes the car run really rich, so a new TPS would probably fix your problem.

Comment

Ok that's what I was figuring The car idles at 3k when cold, and in order to get the idle back down ya have to shut the car down (after it's reading Warm) and start it right back up, and even then it has a nasty hesitation on takeoff and seems to be running rich as a mofo.
      '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Dude ya, lol that will fix a lot of your problems. My car in sub 0 weather idles at like barely even 1k on startup...
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Ooooh Boooy. Yep deffinently gonna fix this problem on pay day lol. It looks like the repair is a cinch... is this so?

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Should be a simple remove and replace. I can't remember if it's torx or hex bolts. With a new TPS your car will know how far open the throttle is, so yeah it's gonna drive a lot better.
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

you can do it with the tb on the intake, but you need a little torx bit with the mini wrench/wratchet, i got my kit from candian tire
              sorry cant find a pic, looks like a mini wrench with a hole that wratchets and fits a bit

anyways, make sure if you get a tps that has elongated holes(adjsutable) that you check your manual and make sure its at what the manual says for volts @ closed, like i mentioned in one of your other threads

Comment

How...after replacement

After you change the throttle position sensor, it would be a good idea to do what they call a voltage sweep.Thats done with a scan tool or a volt meter hooked to the blue wire and the black wire on the thottle sensor circuit if that fits your application.1.verifiy closed throttle voltage then verify with a sweep of the throttle completely to check wot voltage, when done slowly it can also define a glitch in a sensor.The reference voltage is about 5 volts.The reason for this is not nessasarily to test the sensor but to verify it is properly installed, I have seen this simple mistake cause grief in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                  Should be a simple remove and replace. I can't remember if it's torx or hex bolts. With a new TPS your car will know how far open the throttle is, so yeah it's gonna drive a lot better.
                  Torx

Originally posted by sil View Post
                  you can do it with the tb on the intake, but you need a little torx bit with the mini wrench/wratchet, i got my kit from candian tire
                  sorry cant find a pic, looks like a mini wrench with a hole that wratchets and fits a bit

anyways, make sure if you get a tps that has elongated holes(adjsutable) that you check your manual and make sure its at what the manual says for volts @ closed, like i mentioned in one of your other threads
                  I am thinking I will just take the damn IAC off so I can get to the TPS easier. Otherwise I foresee myself getting VERY angered and not finishing the job. But there's no way to "adjust" the TPS right? Just bolting it in, hooking it up, and hoping it works?

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                  After you change the throttle position sensor, it would be a good idea to do what they call a voltage sweep.Thats done with a scan tool or a volt meter hooked to the blue wire and the black wire on the thottle sensor circuit if that fits your application.1.verifiy closed throttle voltage then verify with a sweep of the throttle completely to check wot voltage, when done slowly it can also define a glitch in a sensor.The reference voltage is about 5 volts.The reason for this is not nessasarily to test the sensor but to verify it is properly installed, I have seen this simple mistake cause grief in the past.
                  How could it be installed wrong?

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

elongated holes
                    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Thanks all! I fixed that beotch up yesterday, and man is the car aweome now! I cant vouch for economy yet, as my tank is and was still empty, but I will let ya's know after i fill it up this time! Thanks again for the awesome running car!

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X