How to pull the engine from a Z24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pull the engine from a Z24

I bought a Chiltons manual, but I have misplaced it in a move. I need to get the engine out of a '93 Cavalier Z24. The car is wrecked, I just want the engine. Can someone possibly scan the relevant pages for engine removal?

Anyone need parts? Body is trashed, but all else seems fine. The car is drivable, it was a rollover about a year and a half ago, used a forklift to pop the roof out a bit and I removed the windshield.
    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

You can unbolt it from the trans and yank it thru the top if you have a picker or you can disconnect the front drivetrain/cradle and drop it all as one and jack the car up really high pulling the engine trans and subframe with suspension from undernieth it. I always pull the engine from the top if that is all I am addressing.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I do have a picker. Do I need to remove any accessories or other specifics? The A/C is still charged (and works), can I unbolt the compressor and flop it off the the side, or should I get the refrigerant purged first? Is it obvious where I'd get at the torque converter bolts?

I've never pulled a FWD engine before...
      '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
      '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
      '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
      '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

I normally unbolt the compressor and leave it on the subframe. The torque converter bolts can be accessed by removing the starter or by removing the inspection cover for the flywheel.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

IMO think it thru for a red application . Got to remove engine mounts from chassis. Unbolt trans at tc side and at passengers side tail shaft from bracket. Remove down pipe , remove alternator, remove power steering pump from timing cover and hang it out of the way. Remove fuel lines from the fuel rails, and remove all plug connections to injectors main harness. Remove fan remove hoses for cooling system properly draining fluids IAW local policies. Unbolt AC compressor from engine draping it out of the way. Be sure all other wiring is removed as needed as well as vacuum lines. That's a quick fast explanation of it all. Use some common sense and take your time as its your first fwd. Very easy once ya get the feel of it all.
          Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Working...
          X