Oh Lord!!! 3xCPS broke while removing from block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Lord!!! 3xCPS broke while removing from block

UPDATE: Ah, Victory is at it's sweetest when the challenges are at their greatest. The stuck CPS is removed. After an hour of drilling with a die grinder at 100psi (on/off of course) and burning up 3 drill bits, she suddenly slammed right out and up the last drill bit. Blasted all the shards away, installed the new CPS and cleaned up.
    __________________________________________________ _________

And it is below the horizon of the bore. This is what I get rebuilding a 96

I had two ways to fix this, and both were a pita all the way around. I decided to drill it out, seemed like a faster, less intense of a project. Versus removing the oil pan and pushing/banging it out.

Anyways, my drill dies part way into the project.....this is getting tough. My 1/2 drill bit is worn badly and there is only so much room.

I got a 90° Air Die Grinder with a 1/4" key/chuck style head just for this project. With a 1/4" Drill Bit for steel and a 1/4" Screw Extractor. It seemed optimal given the 90° placement, saves A LOT of room to work with.

I had to hang a mirror in the bay just right to see what I'm drilling out and tape a flashlight just right to reflect on the mirror into the CPS bore. Car is jacked up high as I can and needed carpet to lay on. This is one of those REALLY ROYAL PITA jobs.

So I am about to finish the rest shortly. I'll update the progress.......anyone who runs into the same problem, God Bless you. Hopefully my post will help anyone in such a mess.
    Last edited by Schmieder; 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM.
Working...
X