Proper timing for a 3.4l converted to carburator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Proper timing for a 3.4l converted to carburator

I just finish the installation of a 3.4L 1994 converted to carburator and vacum advanced distributor. There are no marks on the block to set proper timing. How can I find the proper timing for this engine. This is the last problem I need to solve everything else is working good.
    I have several number: 14* vac disconencted at idle, 38* at 3500rpms, 36* at 3000rpms, 8* at 700rpms.
    Not having a mark at the block, so many degrees from were? 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 1:30 on the clock?

Well, since advance or retard is adjusted from TDC (Top Dead Center), consult the service manual to see where the crankshaft keyway is pointing when setting up the timing chain. With the crankshaft damper retaining bolt out you will be able to see the keyway and orient it properly for TDC. At this point you will need to find something to make an indicator or take note of a protrusion on the timing cover to use for an indicator. Mark the edge of the damper for reference. The easy way out is to obtain some "timing tape", which is a self adhesive decal for the damper to provide a timing scale. Next, start with initial idle timing of 10 degrees before TDC (advanced) with dist. vac. adv. disconnected. It would be ideal if there is an adjustable vacuum advance for your distributor. Total advance should not exceed 36 degrees, all in by 4000 rpm's. You already know you are at 10 at idle, run the engine up with the vac. adv. disconnected until it stops advancing and note the timing value. This is total centrifugal advance. Now, with the engine idling, plug the vac. back on the vac. adv. and note the timing change. You will take the total centrifugal and add total vac. adv. to discover your overall advance. It is this overall advance that you do not want to exceed 36 degrees. It is a fine balancing act to divide the advance up between initial, centrifugal and vacuum to achieve best performance. Usually, if the car is not too heavy it doesn't need vac. adv. at all and performance can be tuned into the distributor through careful selection of advance weights and return springs.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Working...
    X