Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : My son's 2.8l LB8 in '86 Firebird

Hi all, good looking forum.

I just bought my son an '86 Firebird with the "S" LB8 2.8l. We have a couple of issues and are looking for pointers to the right sources of information.

1. We changed the oil immediately and the old filter was VERY stuck on. Had to use the screwdriver trick. We made sure the mating surface was clean, oil on new filter, just past hand tight, etc. The sucker leaks like crazy. Two different filters, new oil pressure sender (I got to show him the oil pressure sender socket I bought when I was 16, but I digress). Searching here found a gasket behind the filter mount? And an o-ring of some sort? Recommendations for R&R methods? Pictures?

2. The car has a bad miss at idle but doesn't do too bad once you get her going. Does the top manifold have to come off to get to the injectors? It appears so but seems odd.

3. There is a small connector exposed just in front of the starter. It looks like something should plug into there but there aren't any left over wires. Ideas?

4. The previous owner added/replaced the coil with one mounted to the AC plenum with wood screws . Any idea why not just replace the coil on the engine?

We're in Lexington and Nicholasville, KY and hope to come to the Bowling Green event.

I have a 1996 Impala SS, maybe we'll caravan over, hope to see you guys there.

Timpala
Working...
X