No announcement yet.

Interference Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends how much they float versus how much clearance or lack of clearance there is. But at 5600 RPM with a stock cam and springs you will be fine. If you changed out the cam and left the springs you might run into problems.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

My 3.4 Trooper had a 2.8 with snapped timing chain when I bought it. Replaced the timing chain and damper and it was fine. I'd imagine these don't have a lot of valve lift stock.

Probably wouldn't be so lucky with the 3.4 now that it has 1.6:1 rockers!

Cheers..........ed
      '90 Trooper 3.4 Conversion, bored intake, Holley Big-Bore, 1.6:1 Small Block Chev V8 roller-tipped rocker arms.

Comment

So what conclusion did you come to SGR??

Did you GM techs continue to back you up? Since everyones post here is really just their "Opinions" as you told me...

Got Lope?
        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Stock 3400 with 34k miles. Alignment pin on the cam sheared off, made contact with all exhaust valves, and bent pushrods. ForcedFirebird has/had my heads to prove it
          1994 Chevy Corsica. Parted out. Just a rotting shell now
          Best 1/4mile ET - 12.9
          Best 1/4mile MPH - 111
          1997 Ford Ranger Splash
          Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Impala View Post
            And don't forget, they were also in Citations! Doesn't matter that they are non-interference because there is no timing chain in those engines, the cam is geared off the crank. Beautiful setup, actually.
            Kinda sounds like a Jesel
            You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
            ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
            95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

Originally posted by loner666 View Post
              Stock 3400 with 34k miles. Alignment pin on the cam sheared off, made contact with all exhaust valves, and bent pushrods. ForcedFirebird has/had my heads to prove it
              Quick question Loner. Was that under high RPM or standard load?

And Jon, yes, they continue to "back me up" as you put it. And I never made the "opinion" statement as I recall. You really want to lay off me. Leave the thread as a civilized discussion as it already is.

Comment

At the time it was I was lightly leaving a light. A few mins before that I was on the highway cruising/playing around some from about 60-80 but everything was fine till that traffic light...so Id say it happened around 3k rpm or less
                1994 Chevy Corsica. Parted out. Just a rotting shell now
                Best 1/4mile ET - 12.9
                Best 1/4mile MPH - 111
                1997 Ford Ranger Splash
                Daily Driver

Comment

The iron duke I had sounded rough I was told it was from slipping timing teeth on the gear. The crank doesn't have many balance counter weights so it shakes like a mofo in upper RPMS. Same exact piston as 350 sbc though!! lol. The mercur 3.0 crank strokes it out and makes it smoother I've heard.
                  sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                  1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                  16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                  Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGhostRider View Post
                    Quick question Loner. Was that under high RPM or standard load?
                    Does that really matter?? High load light load or no load, the valves interfered with the pistons, there for making these engines and interference motor.

And I don't mean to nack on a anyone that is, but ASE certified techs doesn't mean they know everything... they just know how to take a test as Z26-T's sig says.

As I said before all those ASE cert guys at my local stealership didn't think what I was going to do was even possible. They said I CAN'T put 3500 parts on a 3400, OR even run a 97 venture ECM in my 96 Beretta. Now they are stunned when I bring that car in and they see it run/idle.

Got Lope?
                    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Working...
                    X