2.8 headbolt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 headbolt question

I am Rebuilding the 2.8 v6 engine in an 86 chevy s-10 4x4 extended cab pickup
    this is an iron head engine not aluminum. it's fuel injected and manual trans
    picked it up for 200$ Question is does this engine have those goofy head bolts
    that you have to replace or are they standard torque em down and forget em
    that you can reuse? Asking this because one of the auto parts folks
    said some of the 2.8 engines have what he calls stretch bolts that you have to replace if you pull the head.

I am used to old 8cyl and motorcycle engines. torque em down in sequence and forget it.

steelbender

The head bolts are "torque-to-yield" bolts. So yes, once you torque them down, they do effectively stretch some. But, people have re-used them before without any real issues. If you are just doing a standard rebuilt, you can probably get away with reusing them. But if you are doing a performance build (or are anal like some of use), its best to spend the $20 or so and get the new head bolts.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I agree with bszopi here.

I have used to stock head bolts over and over again without failure...
      But if you are going to go nuts with it, use new ones : )
      !!!!! BOSCH PLUGS RULE !!!!!
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/powerdoctor

Comment

don't be cheap buy new bolts
        because I\'m not Canadian

Comment

Actually the old iron head bolts can be reused. But since they are so damn old I would replace them too.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Take it from a mechanic. You should NEVER re-use head bolts. They are torque to yield as stated above, so once used,they will not pull down as they should a second time. Spend the money, it's better than replacing your head because of warpage or your head gasket because of bad sealing. GL.

Comment

They are NOT torque to yield bolts. The new 3X00 engines are but the old ones are not.

I know what your saying though, you should never reuse the bolts since the head gasket is such a critical component.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
              X