PCV going crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCV going crazy

Why does my PCV sound like a bee buzzing? I can hear it clearly over almost every other noise while the engine is idling. I had this same prob on my old 87 caprice classic w/ 305. I assumed it was just more blow by than the system could handle, but it doesnt really make sense on my olds because it doesnt burn oil and it does it especially bad while idling. Is there something that could be clogged I should look for? I have replaced almost every vacuum line and the pcv and grommet. thanks for any help.

The elbow is cracked on it perhaps? And the vacuum is causing it to collapse and vibrate as it pulls air in, sort of like a whoopee cushion. At least that happened to me, I used those HELP! replacements and it was not oil resistant rubber and it melted almost haha. I put some angled braided hose and it's been fine ever since.

You can see it here somewhat. It was in a package and had 2 90* bends and I just cut one off.

sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Your heat shields are not rattling are they? Checked for a vacuum leak at the LIM mating surfaces?
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I will check for cracks but Im pretty sure its good. I have replaced almost all the lines with real good ones I found at the junkyard. Could have missed something though.

Its definitely not the heat shield. You can clearly hear it and feel it if you put your hand on the valve. The LIM looks dry but its never been replaced as far as I know so theres a good chance its not in mint condition. Ill check it.

Comment

I suspect that you have a burnt intake valve, causing the vacuum to fluctuate. I'd replace the pcv valve, as they're cheap. If that doesn't take care of it, and there are on vacuum leaks... it's time for a compression test.

Comment

If you end up replacing the PCV and PCV tube, then buy the tube from the dealer. The "HELP!" ones you find in auto stores suck for our cars... dealers usually carry the full correct hose for about $10.
            SpudFiles
            Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
            Theopia
            Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
            3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

My rubber elbow was leaking... didn't feel like buying a new one. So I just put a hose clamp on it.

Comment

thanks, i will try a compression test. i got all new lines off a good wrecked car at the junk yard, so I think im good as far as leaks, and its got a new valve. but i will check that again too.

Comment

Working...
                X