Cam bearing and re-con rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam bearing and re-con rods

While in the process of purchasing cam bearings I came across a fact I didn't know about. Did the 3.1's have a wide center bearing? Or did they just use a wider center bearing on rebuild? I say this beause I read elsewhere to use SBC bearings in the center due to leakage. So I found two kits with the same number and one specified the wide center bearing and the other did not. Can anyone shed some lite on this?
    Also, can anyone recommend a place to get some re-conned rods? My machinst wants $160 to rebuild the rods. That's the going rate where I live, I shopped him. I've seen them, before I needed them, on the net for $100 a set. But I can't find them now except at ARI. I'm building an '88 2.8 .040- over with a 3.1 crank and pistons for an '86 Blazer.

Thanks
    On edit, I've moved on past this topic, found some rods and picked up some cam bearings.
    Last edited by Ray Hamilton; 03-09-2007, 07:06 PM.
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Even though you come to a solution, are you aware that you can use small journal SBC rods (from a 327) and just have the big ends shaved down a bit to fit the width of the crank journal? This means SBC FORGED rods can be used, which I have found for less than $200/set of 8.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

I did read that. I had access to many early SBC rods. Anyway I purchased some re-conned rod from A.R.I. No bushings in the small end. I don't have my originals and can't remember if they had bushings or not. Do they, or are they full floating?
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

I keep answering my own questions. Piston pins press fit, no busings.

Comment

Working...
        X