89 Beretta GT knock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Beretta GT knock.

I bought a 89 Beretta GT today for $400. The only reason i got it so cheap is that the previous owner couldn't seem to find the knock in the engine. It has new main and rod bearings, heads redone, and a new timing chain. When the car is started, it makes more of a rattling sound than a knock and the sound disappears after approx. 2000 rpm. Anyone know what this sounds like and what it'd take to fix? I have enough parts to probably build another 2.8 but really don't have the time to spare to do a swap. If it's something simple i'd rather repair the engine thats in the car now and drive it, but with my luck, i'll probably be doing a swap. lol.

Piston slap? Valvetrain?

Hell it could even be the tranny. Its hard to tell over the net. Got any vids with sound?

Comment

check the flywheel bolts also... seem to be coming loose alot lately..
      1996 beretta w/a 04' 3400 3.5 top end, 42.5lb hr, 180*thermo, t3t4 .63ar 60 trim, LC1 WB, FMIC, greddy rs BOV,TIAL 38mm wastegate,791xv,fidanza,stage III clutch,TG LSD,ffp udp,walbro 255 lph,strut tower brace,22 rear sway,30 front sway,92 5sp tranny,92 subframes,all solid mounts,kyb shocks and struts,eibachs,battery in trunk,tgp map sensor,DHP Powrtuner,euro front and rear and more to come soon...mods sitting in boxes waiting install....zo4 kit,GTU wing,and more..

Comment

I let the car idle until it was up to temp today and then gave it a little gas and it's definatly a knock and not a rattle and doesn't go away after 2k. I guess where the oil was colder and thicker it made it not sound as bad. How bad is it to pull the engine in the beretta? It looks a bit tighter than my Z24 for some reason. Also, it has a 5sp tranny. I'm thinking of pulling the engine and using the heads off of it and putting on another 3.1 that I have and putting it in the car.

Comment

Working...
        X