3400 cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 cam

I'm building a 3400 from a '98 Olds Silhouette to put in my Fiero. I'm trying to re-use as many parts as I can due to a shortage of $.
    The engine had water in the oil and ruined the cam bearings, nothing else. Crank and everything else were fine.
    I want to use the stock camshaft, in as much as it didn't seize and looks perfect. My worries are what's the chances of a high mileage cam like this breaking? $200 to replace will set me a long way back. I read about the instances of them breaking, so I'm apprehensive. I won't be using competition springs but maybe 1.6 rockers. No competition running.

Am I OK with this cam? Is there a low mileage one out there I could buy if not?

Thanks
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Don't know how soon your doing this build.But im going to pull my stock cam shift end of the summer if you wanted it?The block is a 2003 3400 with less then 50xxx miles.

Comment

Wow, that's great. I'm into the build pretty deep but not the swap yet. I'll save this thread in case our times are the same. I was wondering still if anyone had a idea about the longevity of this cam?
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't use it but if you do, be sure to mic the journals. They seem to be pretty soft and if the cam bearings were bad the journals most likely has wear.
        MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
        '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
        http://www.tcemotorsports.com
        http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The journals checked out OK. What a dilemma.

Comment

Like i said if you wanted it you may have it.I'll never use it onces the high lift one is in.Just pay for shipping

Comment

i have the stock cam i pulled from my motor when i went with the bigger cam. the stock cam has around 10k on it. got the motor with around 300 miles on it and the rest of the miles were fairly light to medium nothing real crazy.

let me know if you want it. not looking to get rich off it but i'd let it go for a reasonable price.
              sigpic
              99 Grand Am GT
              3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
              Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
              1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
              515 515 lift 112 lsa
              15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Sorry about being so slow to respond but yes I'd be interested. How much to 98237?
                Last edited by Ray Hamilton; 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Your high lift cam shaft is 515??How much did you notice since the cam??I have a 533 lift going into the car end of summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X