Engine Stumbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Stumbling

I've been having this issue for about a week now. It started out when I first got the dual exhaust on and the engine started to hesitate and lurch when you try to accelerate quickly, it also seems to do it after I make left hand turns. I decided to wait a week and see if it was just the computer having issues with the higher exhaust flow, but it is still doing it. Anyone got any ideas?

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

does it do it at any certin rpm, all through the rpms? i wouldn't immagin it being the exhaust, the gfs was doing it all through the rpms, i put some seafoam through a vac. line and through the gas tank. and ran the dog piss out of it, put some 93 in it and it cleared right up
    sigpic

Comment

May sound silly but have you checked for a pinched fuel line? Can't remember for sure if they run above the lower control arm on the Lumina's like the Berettas, but maybe one got pinched and everytime you make a left hand turn you're pinching the fuel line down for a minute? Just a thought. GL.

Comment

Originally posted by 1meanz View Post
        does it do it at any certin rpm, all through the rpms? i wouldn't immagin it being the exhaust, the gfs was doing it all through the rpms, i put some seafoam through a vac. line and through the gas tank. and ran the dog piss out of it, put some 93 in it and it cleared right up
        Its doing it through all the rpms now, and its been getting pretty bad to the point where it just won't accelerate. I had to flip my hazards on and drive a 40kph because it wouldn't accelerate past that without lurching constantly. I just finished running sea foam through the engine and its still doing it.

Originally posted by SuzukiGhostRider View Post
        May sound silly but have you checked for a pinched fuel line? Can't remember for sure if they run above the lower control arm on the Lumina's like the Berettas, but maybe one got pinched and everytime you make a left hand turn you're pinching the fuel line down for a minute? Just a thought. GL.
        I haven't done that, I'm thinking I'm going to run over to my mechanic after I get gas tomorrow and see what he thinks I should do. I may have a leaking gas line or something.

Dual Outlet Exhaust with Resonator Delete, Front STB, Rear STB, GMPP Trailing Arms

Comment

What you're describing definitely sounds like a fuel problem to me. The left hand turns thing may be that the screen is clogged in your tank. I really think you need to rip your tank out and check your fuel pump and screen assembly. Odds are very good that's where your problem lies. GL.

Comment

i agree, when a fuel pump goes bad, it can either just die, or go slow. Mine died slow, giving me full pressure but no flow.

Of course, when my accel coils went bad (which is what they are good at), I also had the same type problem.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Actually, I had to park it the past couple of days because it got so bad. I was driving down the street and it almost died entirely on me, stumbled like CRAZY as I was getting off the road. Shut it off and turn it back on and it ran fine all the way to my mechanic (mind you I went REALLY slow the whole way with my hazards on).

Thing is it would run fine at times, completely normal and powerful and then would suddenly stumble. It started getting to the point where it would always do it. So when it almost died on me I figured it was time to figure out what was wrong.

My mechanic ran it around and tested it to see if anything was wrong. He said it ran perfectly fine until he hit the area just behind the garage and it started stumbling and he understood what I meant. He told me that he was positive that the Ignition Module is dying and that is what it causing it, because its running like a gem at idle and low speed but under load it starts to spaz.

I'm not sure if he checked the fuel pump, I'll ask him tomorrow about it. Kinda makes sense though, most left hand turns I make I was stopped or going very slow and accelerate out of it and it stumbles. Right hand turns I don't slow down as much and put less load on the ignition. Prior to parking it the car started doing it all the time regardless though.

Comment

Hmm. If it's not fuel it could be ICM, or CPS. everytime i thought it was the icm it was my cps but the left hand turn thing sounds like fuel.
                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

ICM is always a plausible theory I guess. It's just the left hand turns thing kind of throws me. I would think that's fuel related as well. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Also ICM > Fuel pump for ease of changing.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

WOOHOO!!!! Well changed the ICM and it drives again! Also fixed some of my idling problems and other issues I've been having *dances*

I'm so glad its back on the road!

Comment

Working...
                      X