Requesting some info from the Pro's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting some info from the Pro's

I'm an old guy who just bought a nice used 04 Monte Carlo with a 3400 SFI V6 Plant. I'm catching-up on the maintenance and this car is still a mystery to me.

I have done a few things long overdue. The air filter was all but clogged shut. I managed to get the new one in.

On to the Sparklers. The front three were a piece 'o cake. Now I need to get the ones on the firewall side changed.

What's the Flat-Rate shortcut for getting the Plugs out of the Firewall side of that really cramped 3400 SFI Engine. There's got to be a trick and I'm pretty sure I have come to the right place to learn it.

Got the Front three done in a jiffy.
    Now, I need to do the "Other side"
    What can I do to make the job easier than pretending I'm a blind man and following the wire down to the boot by laying down on the strut tower and fighting with those Boots and feeling my way in with the Spark Plug Socket?

Old hat for you young guys ... I'm sure.
    How do I save time and energy doing 3 Plugs?

Help and Old Guy out will you???

You can detach the front engine mounts, roll the engine forward and wedge a block of wood behind the engine or strap the engine in place. That is the best way IMO to do those plugs.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

i would imagine that on a big-ass car liek that it'd be a cakewalk, now, put it in my tiny little j-body engine bay like i did and things get more fun :P

remove the coils/icm/bracket, if you haven't, that makes it sooo much easier. i figure you probably already have but just throwing it out there

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
      Cammed 3500 --> ???
      1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

on my 2004 Grand Am GT i just use a regular swivel 5/8" spark plug socket, 6" extention and ratchet.. i physically get on the engine with my knees on the plenum and attack them from the top. If they haven't been changed it's kind of fun to get the rears out..

make sure to put anti-seaze on the threads of the new ones and a little dielectric grease in the boot where it sits against the plugs. Oh yah, and stay away from Autolite plugs, they lasted a few months in my 3400 before they started acting up. AC Delcos are always the best bet for these engines.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Ac Delco for sure.

Like said, you can disconnect the motor mounts and rock in engine forward giving you more room. if needed you can remove the coil packs, ICM and bracket, giving you even more room. With those two things done, it shouldnt be a problem to get on top of the engine and remove the rear plugs.
          sigpic
          1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
          3400/Getrag 284 5spd
          1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
          350/NV3500 5spd
          2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

When they come into the shop I just hump the motor and hope no one decides to mess with me while I am elbows deep back there. It can be done just keep cool and don't get frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
              on my 2004 Grand Am GT i just use a regular swivel 5/8" spark plug socket, 6" extention and ratchet.. i physically get on the engine with my knees on the plenum and attack them from the top. If they haven't been changed it's kind of fun to get the rears out..

make sure to put anti-seaze on the threads of the new ones and a little dielectric grease in the boot where it sits against the plugs. Oh yah, and stay away from Autolite plugs, they lasted a few months in my 3400 before they started acting up. AC Delcos are always the best bet for these engines.
              thats how ive been doing it back from the beretta days. climb up on the intake and use a reg spark plug socket with a regular extention.

no need to remove any of the engine mounts. but it helps a little if you take the whol coil pack, icm and mounting brack off.
              sigpic
              99 Grand Am GT
              3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
              Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
              1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
              515 515 lift 112 lsa
              15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Thank you very much; everyone. I never expected that pulling three Plugs was going to be such an adventure. I'm waiting 'til Saturday to bring 'er in and do just about everything you guys listed to change but just three Plugs. I'm just glad I don't have to do every 3000 Miles like I do on the bike.

Am I going to need superhuman strength and my floor jack to roll the engine back to line-up the Upper Front Mounts?

By the way ... am I in the right Forum or am I a dummy who found what I thought was the right Forum and made a mistake? I don't have a race car. Just a 04 Monte with a Chevy V6 !
                Last edited by RickCoMatic; 12-18-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

You found the right forum

If you have a ratchet strap, it will be much easier to rock/tilt the engine forward, as it wont stay there on its own.
                  sigpic
                  1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
                  3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                  1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
                  350/NV3500 5spd
                  2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

I think I know what your talking about, Jay. I was hoping to get away with a Tie-down ... but, I can see how the Ratchet Strap will be very useful in "Doing-the-trick".

As for the Coil Pack and ICM ... Just undo them and move them out of the way, or un-hook them and take them right out of the engine compartment?

Seems like just "Out of the way" would be good enough ... I don't plan on being in the back of that engine to have my mail forwarded there!

Comment

Just move the coil pack and ICM out of the way. I would be very careful in removing the dogbones and rocking the engine forward. The Monte has a transmission fluid line running from the drivers front of the trans to the passenger side of the radiator. The trans line seals can be crushed very easily while rocking the engine around. I personally left the dogbones in and removed the coils/ICM to change the rear plugs in my Impala. There is plenty of room.

Comment

Working...
                      X