85 to 88 Oil Pan Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 to 88 Oil Pan Swap

Ok..In getting all of the parts ready for the big day, I talked to the local GM dealer about the oil pan. I know that going from a 2X4 to a 4X4 the oil pans must be changed. In a forum here, I was told that the 88 oil pan would not bolt up to the 85. Mr. Goodwrench says differently. Now...before I begin this engine swap who is correct? I really do not want my 14 year old to see me go into a monkey rage and throw tools on the day of the swap. Anyone know?

98% sure it won't work.

Comment

If I remember correctly (could probably look at the family tree), the 85 engine had the smaller journals. The large journals came out in mid-86. With that being said, the oil pans will not be able to interchange between the years.

EDIT: Looks like the switch was in mid-85, not 86.

http://wiki.60degreev6.com/index.php...V6_Family_Tree
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

'88 had the lip at the front of the pan, earlier had a flange with bolts that went into the timing cover.

Comment

The '88 pan will not work, I just did this swap. In order to use the '88 pan you have to have a different timing cover, I forget the part number but it's the one that is used on the 3.4 crate engine. $167 in WA St. I got one off e-bay for $25. www.goodwrench.com/_res/pdf/EnginePdf/. I guess I have no credibility so you're on your own.
          '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Ray you are correct. Not only did I post here, I visited several other autoparts stores in my area, and all advised that the oil pans were not interchangeable. Got to wonder about Mr. Goodwrench's computers when he looked both up and said they are the same part number.

Comment

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a 4WD pan for the '85 engine. That would make things alot simpler for you. Do you still have the TBI and manifold from the '88? I should fit fine. Make sure you go to GM and get the newest intake gasket set and new studs and bolts. Have a seat when they tell you the price of the bolts, $5 EACH. Make sure they give you the one's you need because mine were special order and some I didn't need and had to take them back and pay a 20% restocking fee. Be very exacting and clean when installing the intake as this is the biggest failure item on the 2.8, coolant in the oil then the bearings go. I got almost all my parts off e-bay at fantastic savings, all we're exactly what I needed and in excellent working condition.
              Get a piece of scrap aluminum plate, 1/4", and cut out a fuel pump block-off plate.
              '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Working...
              X