Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4L Jeep Conversion

I am doing a 2.5L to 3.4L conversion.

My transmission is an AX5. The bellhousing matches perfect but the flywheel does not. It has a male bevel where the 3.4L also has a male bevel on the crank. Does anyone know if any 2.8L flywheel fit in my AX5?

Cheers,

i'm pretty sure a flywheel off any 2.5 or 2.2 or 2.8 s-10 will work perfectly.
    As for it fitting your tranny, what size is the clutch disk and how many splines is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rizzle View Post
      i'm pretty sure a flywheel off any 2.5 or 2.2 or 2.8 s-10 will work perfectly.
      As for it fitting your tranny, what size is the clutch disk and how many splines is it?
      That's a good question. The problem I am having is with the center of the AX-5 flywheel. It is beveled outwards and centers in the 2.5L crank. The 2.8L crank is the opposite-- it centers into the flywheel.

Thanks for your reply,

Comment

I have an extra S10 one that is brand new that I was going to use in my swap but I did not. Let me know if you are interested in it.

I swapped at 3.4 into my XJ, I also have an AX5.

The the problem with using the flywheel from a 2.8 is that the flywheel balances the engine, so it has weights on it. The 3.4L is internally balanced so it needs a flywheel with no weights.

Comment

Well this is good news. So I place the 2.8L flywheel in my AX5? I get it neutrally balanced at a machine shop? If this is the case I am interested in your flywheel.

Currently I have a 904 automatic tranny that came with the parts jeep. I test drove it and found it not very strong (compared to the 4.0L) so I resolved to keep my standard, thinking that I would keep a few horses with the standard. But then this flywheel conundrum is somewhat troublesome.

Thanks for your reply,

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by Joah_from_Alberta View Post
            Well this is good news. So I place the 2.8L flywheel in my AX5? I get it neutrally balanced at a machine shop? If this is the case I am interested in your flywheel.

Currently I have a 904 automatic tranny that came with the parts jeep. I test drove it and found it not very strong (compared to the 4.0L) so I resolved to keep my standard, thinking that I would keep a few horses with the standard. But then this flywheel conundrum is somewhat troublesome.

Thanks for your reply,

Cheers,

You could have a 2.8 flywheel neutrally balanced but I have one from an S10 that is already neutrally balanced, because it came that way stock. I believe I got the one from a 92 S10. If you check my swap thread in the engine swap section I may have listed more details.

Where are you located? I can let you know how much it would be to ship to you.

Comment

Originally posted by cardana24 View Post
              Where are you located? I can let you know how much it would be to ship to you.
              My guess would be Alberta, Canada. But its just a guess....
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

heh heh heh, yeah, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. So yeah, if the flywheel will fit my AX-5 then I will take it thanks.

So then all I'll need is a pressure plate assembly, I wonder if I can use the thrush bearing yoke assembly from my AX-5. Y'now, the only other conversion I ever did on my vehicles was to drop a 350 cid into my Sunbird/Monza, that was fun! and that was over 20 years ago (sad face). Actually, I digress, I also swapped 3-n the tree for an auto 350TH in our '67 Chev, also years ago ... I love being an unpaid mechanic!!!

Cheers,

Comment

I'll do $50 shipped. PM me if you are interested and I can give you my paypal address.

Comment

I am very interested and I will PM you, thanks again for all your helps gents,

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                    X