4t60e to 4 cylinder auto 4spd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4t60e to 4 cylinder auto 4spd

I screwed my trany up and i was wondereing if i should just put another 4t60e in it or if i should try putting in a 4 cylinder 4spd. A guy that races circle track told me that if i pit one of these in that it would make the car much faster because of the 3.33 final drive ratio. im not sure about this but im getting a new trany tommorow morning and i was just wondering about this. Anbody know anything bout this?

1996 Beretta
    3100 SFI TURBO
    T28 60 Trim Turbo at 9psi, Stage 1 turbo cam mms, lifter upgrade springs mms, P&P heads, ls6 Valve Springs, Ported exhaust manifolds, Hyperuetectic pistons SP, 3.29 trani, MSD 8.5 wires, open exhaust, Pulstar plugs, 3400 intake manifolds, ported TB, 36 lb/hr injectors, RCI Fuel cell, Walbro 255 pump, A/C Bypass, and much more.
    13.1 @ 103 mph best in the 1/4 mile

I don't think that would make you faster, as far as I knew, the Beretta had a 3.33 stock. At least, thats what I thought.

Comment

Swapping to a 4t40e/45e is a whole other ballgame......True, a 3.33 FDR WOULD make the car faster somewhat, but the point is, it's damn near impossible to swap out the 4t60e for a 4t40/45e. (even being electronic, the 4t60e is still vacuum modulated, whereas the 40/45e's are fully electronic in their shifts)

And IIRC, the 3100 berettas came with a 2.93 FDR

I'd say throw in another 4t60e, it can take more torque, plus before you even put it in, you can swap out Final Drive assembly to give yourself a 3.33 ratio

Comment

well i went to the junk yard and i found a 96 beretta with the 4t60e trani. then i noticed it had the same problem so i left it. i think the 96 4t60e have a problem. how bout puttin gin a 93 3speed trani from a 3.1. will that work. the gears are the same correct, except no overdrive.

1996 Beretta
        3100 SFI TURBO
        T28 60 Trim Turbo at 9psi, Stage 1 turbo cam mms, lifter upgrade springs mms, P&P heads, ls6 Valve Springs, Ported exhaust manifolds, Hyperuetectic pistons SP, 3.29 trani, MSD 8.5 wires, open exhaust, Pulstar plugs, 3400 intake manifolds, ported TB, 36 lb/hr injectors, RCI Fuel cell, Walbro 255 pump, A/C Bypass, and much more.

Comment

i wouldnt bother with a 3 speed. you will have poor gas mialage and to make it work properly you would have to go back to obd1.

Comment

The 3speeds are very weak compared to the 4t60-e. And as said it would be a lot of work to get the computer to work with it.

If you are going to swap to anything different, you should go with a 282 5speed, but you gotta weld in a transmount, swap pedals, shifter/cables, and splice some wires. But it would be faster then since a manual doesn't waste power like an auto does. And you'd have shorter gear ratios so you'd accelerate faster.

With a 5speed swap the computer would put some check engine light codes up, but since you dont need the computer to control a 5spd it would still work ok. Then you can get a powertuner from DHP since yours is a 96 and edit out the trouble codes for the auto.
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

it wouldnt just throw a check engine light, it would also put the car in failsafe, pulling ignition timing. you can edit out the codes with dhp as stated.

Comment

dont want ot use a 5spd, dont want to have to do the modding. anyway, the 4t60e seems to have a problem with blowing diffs from one wheel burnouts. the 3sod i had in my old beretta had 189000 miles and i did one wheel burnouts all of the time. i have never even heard of a 3spd going out let alone seeing one go out like my 4t60e. now why would i have to go back to obd1, the trani operate properly with no sensors even hooked up. i tested this with my 93 beretta to see if i ave to hook up all of the sensors. one is for the torque converter and the other is for the gear seletion sensor, the gear selection sensor only makes sure the car is in park or neutral before starting. so why wouldnt a 3spd work.

1996 Beretta
                3100 SFI TURBO

Comment

when the computer doesnt "see" the 4t60e it will throw codes for the solonoids and speed sensors being shorted or open. when this happens, the computer could default to 2nd gear (with the 4t60e) and retard the timing and richen the motor up. so yes, the 3 speed will shift but the motor will be lacking power. converting back to obd1 with a harness and computer from a 3.1l 3spd auto would avoid this issue.

ive seen just as many th125s with blown diff pins as i have 4t60e's, and with a 125 when it blows the pin it takes out the case. i would honestly just fix what you have, it is a better transmission.

Comment

you cant fix it, the trani case is cracked all down the side.

1996 Beretta
                    3100 SFI TURBO

Comment

Working...
                    X