Hybrid, huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid, huh?

Okay, I have a build that is ongoing elsewhere, and it is starting to bleed over into this place, as I am getting the parts together. What I have going on is a 90 model Geo Tracker that is being built for serious usage. As of now, it is still "packing" if you can call it that, the Suzuki 1.6 4cyl, but, Capt. Anemia is being replaced with a 2.8 that I got for $100 from an S10 guy, the 5 speed from an 86 Jeep Comanche, and 'yota Xcase. I am going to be setting the 2.8 harness up for a stand alone system as much as I can, since I plan on 4wheeling the Tracker this year, and still building it up. Here are a couple of pictures to give ya'll an idea of what the 2.8 is going to be dealing with:

Mad squirrels, I tell ya'. All 90 hp worth

Anyways, I should be adding some pictures soon.

How fast can you get that (boat anchor) out of the way so we can see the engine bay?
    sigpic
    "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

Well, like I said, AFTER ( that is the annoying part ) I get the rest of the parts together, I can have the "engine" out in about 1/2 hour. You an get to just all of the bellhousing bolts from the TOP of the engine. There is THAT much room in there. I have compared the 60* engine dems. to the ones for the cute 1.6, and they are not really that far off on the crtical ones (height/length).

Comment

That and 60v6's aren't that wide, unless you pick up something like my LQ1, lol. That's a pretty cool build, and welcome to the site
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Cool, I have a friend doing a SBC swap in a Tracker.

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

Comment

I like the thought of a narrow width engine because of how narrow the Tracker engine bay is. I know that you "can" put a V8 in there, but, for my interests, that is just too much nose weight. Good luck to your friend that is doing the V8 swap,Jonpro03. I take it that he is going to be drag racing with it?
            On the LQ1 thing, the beauty of starting with the 2.8 is that, from I have read so far, I am setting the stage for upgraded displacement and power later on. I am not sure though that I want to deal with the headaches that can come from a complex motor like the DOHC engines, VVT, and things like that. I will most likely stop at the blown engines, all though, the rest of these engines are interesting.
            Last edited by 60* Tracker; 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling, lack of, that is.

Comment

Well, I have started on the "stand alone" harness for the swap, using the factory wiring from the donor S-10, along with getting my hands on a front section of frame from a Tracker that was at the junkyard. Man, my mock up/down time just got a tax cut, er, um, time cut, with the frame section to work with. Now, I can start building the engine mounts for this thing! ( I REALLY need to get my other computer working... again... IT has a working card reader, so that I can start posting pictures of the whole ordeal.)

Comment

Are you aware of the 3.4 / 93-95 camaro/firebird,same engine as 2.8 but comes with 160 hp 200 ft lbs. ?

Comment

I am. I simply ran across a complete TBI system/engine for a smoking good price. I am planning to upgrade to the 3.4 down the road . This is simply allowing me to set the stage for upgrades, plus, the 2.8 offers more power (not much, I know) over the Suzuki 4cyl, plus easier and CHEAPER parts than the Suzi. My understanding of the 2.8/3.4 is that I have to change my timing cover, oilpan, intake, and use the dizzy from the 2.8, along with the front dress and engine mounts. I am not sure about the exhaust though. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Working...
                  X