carb to efi in a 86 cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb to efi in a 86 cherokee

Hi guys and maybe girls(?). I've read some good info here so far. I have a 86 Cherokee 2.8 auto (Chrysler tranny) So my question is; I'm looking at a 95 Camaro w/at as a donor vehicle for fuel injection. Its a complete car so far. What kinda issues will I run into with that set up vs. a different vehicle? Eventually will go with a 3.4 long block if I ever kill the 2.8 or need more ponies.

Welcome to the site!

First thing I can think of off the top of my head would be the Camaro tranny. It is slightly different than, say, the S10 tranny, in the placement of the shifter. If I remember correctly, it is back slightly, as well as angle toward the driver more. This might be an issue in the Jeep. Any reason you don't want to keep the existing tranny and just slap in the engine?

As far as going to EFI (by your post, and my memory, I'm guessing you currently have a carb and dist. setup), talk to ForcedFirebird about getting a harness made up. He has done at least 1-2 for other members on here, and they are top-notch. Will make the wiring side of things much easier.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

yeah......... not swapping trans or engine just yet. just the fuel injection for carb.

Comment

The whole EFI setup will swap over. But your going to be missing the cam sensor and crank sensor on your engine. The only way to do it is to swap in the 3.4L motor. OR go and find an older EFI setup from a 3.1L Camaro which has a distributor and does not need the cam or cranks sensor. You also have the option of TBI from an S-10 which is dead simple and very reliable and there are literally millions of donor vehicles out there.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks BTY. I've looked at the TBI before and considered it. Since this is a hobby type project, I was going for the multi-port look and slight performance gain. I know enentually the 2.8 will die and the TBI would work on a 3.1 as well. Thanks for bringing me back to earth

Comment

Well all the iron head EFI systems can interchange. But if you choose SFI which has coil packs and sequential injection then you need a cam and crank sensor. The only block with provisions for those two sensors is the 3.4L Camaro block. So right there your going to have to decide between MPFI or TBI. MPFI came on the 2.8L and 3.1L Camaro and TBI came on every 2.8L S-10 from 86 to 93. Either system will fit all blocks so your not limited to one block.

Your other option is to drop a couple grand on a 3.4L Crate engine and then you can get SFI and the displacement.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thank you for the good info. This site is really good because of members like you. If cash and time were not limited, I would love to go with a 4.3 and different trans. which I am pretty sure the trans bell housing has a different pattern. (I think I read that somewhere else) This is a work in progress that has to able to be driven and cant sit for very long. It is my back up truck for work also. So I'm in the research phase of things right now. A quick look at the local craigslist didn't show very many older S10's out there but thats all the looking I have done.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I put a 3.4 in my cherokee, I started a thread on here about it. It should have a lot of info for you.

Comment

Working...
                X