No announcement yet.

95 Grand Prix Motor on its dying day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hear what your saying but my mind was made up before he said that, cuz i looked up all the hp and torque specs and i think the 3400 was like 175 or 180 and 215 torque which i like. Especially for winter.

Now if i was to swap to the 3400 would there be any problems with using my 3100 computer?

I looked on that 3x00 forum and site and they had nothing on it unless im retarded and totally missed it, which is possible.

The crappy part is i just found a z34 5 speed for like 2000

Comment

even though it isn't ideal, there are many people running 3400s on a 3100 PCM. luckily the motors are similar enough in terms of VE and Spark that it will run fine, but there will always be room for improvement.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I was checking my local junkyards and they dont have any 3400's or 3100's that are good but they do have a bunch of 3800's would that bolt up to the tranny?

Comment

Drop the 3800 idea. People here.......dislike them.

No 3100/3400s? I think its one of the most common engines in the GM car sections at the 'yards.

If theres not one, there will be one soon.

There is always aftermarket engine Reman. Guys (such as Thunderbolt, Jasper, ect.). You could order from one of them, but your really paying some idiot to do something you could do. There anywhere between 1-3K for a longblock.

At work, we use Jasper. 4.9 caddilac, Shop price was a butt-burning $3500 bucks. $350 core was not refunded because of a broken bellhousing bolt hole thingy.

If you have more money than brains you could go that route.

Plus what I said about minivans elsewhere, People as a rule arnt as likely to trash em like say a 5spd Z24 or something...

Comment

there was none in the couple that are right by me but they are specialize in foreign cars i guess but i found tons of them yesterday at other junkyards. and they are fairly cheap too.

and i hope i have more brains than money cuz i dont have any of that laying around

Comment

www.car-parts.com as mentioned.

Should be able to find a few there.
              Last edited by asylummotorsports; 10-02-2009, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I did the swap for my brother last summer and took me two days to complete. took me a day to take the engine out and one to put back in. I used the engine, computer and (engine bay) harness from a 1996 cutlass 3100. Put it in a 1995 grand prix se.

The grand prix was obd 1.5 and the motor had a knock. I just swapped a couple pins on the c100 connector then changed out the trans position sensor, the a/c compressor and all was good. I also drilled a hole in my firewall and ran a new wire for the data link connector.
                (edit) I also drilled a hole and welded a bung in the exhaust after the cat and put the rear 02 sensor on.

The car runs much better with obd2. I looked at the possibility of getting a newer 3100 or 3400, I found that it will work with the 1996 or 1997 harness or computer if you want to swap to obd2 during the process as long as you stay with a cutlass supreme or grand prix dont know about any other w-body cars.

Oh and the 1997 van pcm will work for you if you get a newer 3400.

Also try e-bay and search for lkq they have reasonable prices and have a warranty on items.

(BTW any updates?)

Comment

Working...
                X