Non-60V6: Adding Turbo to n/a 4-cyl Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-60V6: Adding Turbo to n/a 4-cyl Diesel

I might be buying a 1981 Isuzu I-Mark LS with a 1.8L Diesel engine today. I'm pretty sure it's a n/a engine, and assuming it's mechanical injection. What are the considerations for adding a turbo to boost the efficiency?
    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Not today. Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

You're going to need to figure out a way to control the fuel delivery system. I would think it would be sorta worse for economy purposes unless you can fine tune it for all aspects of driveability situations. So I wouldn't go and add boost unless you just want more power while risking your mpg some.
      I am not very familiar with the Isuzu's, but if the 1.8 is anything like the German 1.8 gas engines with mechanical fuel delivery (1975-1981) then you will for sure see a drop in mpg and not much gain for power per $.
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

It's a Japanese diesel, so I don't imagine it's too much like a German petrol engine of the same displacement. :P I get what you're staying though. I just don't know what internal differences there are in a n/a diesel vs a turbo diesel. Different compression ratios, injector flow, etc.

I mean, there's a reason nearly all diesels are turbo'd. They work better that way. We'll see how it drives as-is. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I bet it could be better. I wouldn't be driving this car for performance though. #1 is just because of the collectablility, #2 would be the mileage/efficiency.

I'm still planning to check it out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonero View Post

I mean, there's a reason nearly all diesels are turbo'd. They work better that way.
          Have you ever driven a diesel that is not turbo? You will realize why they are turboed if you have. Look at the power ratings on a plain diesel with out a turbo.

Comment

I just bought this car, and I call it "Captain Slow". Freaking neat little car though. If I can turbo it, I'd like to. Wonder if I might be able to strip the turbo stuff off a VW 1.8L diesel and rig it onto this one. I think I'm going to keep this little car, it's awesome!

Comment

I belive those have too high compression that if you turbo it, you'll need to run low boost like 3-5psi like the GM Duramax. You'll also need to retard the injection pump a tad. You'll need a dial guage for that though. Or just mark where its at and pull back on the pump a hair at a time. Thats if you pump can ajust for altitude and boost. Check the diesel forums.
              88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

I don't even know if it's electronic or mechanical injection yet. It would be cool if I could turbo it, but I might be stuck.

Comment

51 horsepower
                  72ft/lb torque
                  21.5:1 compression.

I'll probably leave it as-is. More power would be cool, but that's not what this car is for.

Maybe I'll try to find another I-Mark (petrol) and swap it for a 60šV6, same frame as the Chevette so I know it's been done.

Comment

Ok, so there is a guy out there that has turbo'd his I-Mark Diesel. Says he runs 5-8psi with good results.

So, how do I pick a turbo to deliver that much boost? There is a place in Portland that could probably fab a turbo header for me. I'd plan on intercooling, and maybe propane injection.

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonero View Post
                      Ok, so there is a guy out there that has turbo'd his I-Mark Diesel. Says he runs 5-8psi with good results.

So, how do I pick a turbo to deliver that much boost? There is a place in Portland that could probably fab a turbo header for me. I'd plan on intercooling, and maybe propane injection.
                      If you would like to read about it, you can read Corky Bell's book Maximum Boost.

You will regulate the amount of boost with your wastegate and boost controller. You need to pick a turbo that will be efficient on the engine you have.

Comment

Working...
                      X