Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fuel in the intake. rough start. Suggestions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel in the intake. rough start. Suggestions please.

I come home from work and the car ran fine. the next morning I go out to start it and it runs rough on idle and it was smoking like crazy. Smoke smells like raw fuel. From take off it stumbles then it picks up finally. I leave from work and it was hard as hell to start and once it did it smoked like crazy with the raw fuel smell. Over 2500 rpms runs fine. Do you guys think the car jumped timing? I did the head gaskets over a year ago and hadnt service the timing belt since then. Let me know. dont wanna tear down and thats not it? thanks

Bad fuel pressure regulator perhaps
    MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
    '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
    http://www.tcemotorsports.com
    http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

I was thinking that too. Let me run down some of what I think it maybe.

1. I dont think its the timing because I missed timed one of these cars before and the idle was rough and the acceleration was rough also. My idle is just rough but the acceleration is great.

2. I think it may be the iac valve going bad because since its has a rich black/white smoke to it I think it may not be getting enough air causing a rich mixture at idle.

3. just like you said it may be the fuel pressure regulator causing too much gas to be dumped during the idle.
      +

Also I wanted to add, if the icm is going bad what would be one of the signs? I had a slight miss/putt putt a year ago and found out it was one of the coils being shot. I did the pull the spark plug wire trick again this time and the engine speed didnt change on none of the plug wires. Last year it did change when i did the same trick thats how i was able to find that bad coil last year. hope that helps some.

Comment

Sounds like a bad FPR. If you remove the intake arm and have fuel drip out of the intake, that's your problem.

Tim
        1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
        325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by timg
          Sounds like a bad FPR. If you remove the intake arm and have fuel drip out of the intake, that's your problem.

Tim
          where is the part located at? I had a lot of fuel in the intake arm and by the throttle plate..

Comment

Originally posted by cedgtp24
            where is the part located at? I had a lot of fuel in the intake arm and by the throttle plate..
            under the upper intake manifold

tim
            1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
            325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I pulled the little hose coming from the FPR and I didnt see any gas leaking from the line. from what im reading if the FPR is bad you would get gas in the line. Do you think mine still could be bad even though no gas dripped from the line?

Comment

Working...
              X