No announcement yet.

iron head pistons in a 3400 w/cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was dealing with this issue on a reground stock cam regarding whether or not I would have to replace the pushrods since the base circle was reduced and the rocker arms non adjustable. Schneider Racing said that I shouldn't have a problem eventhough .040 was machined off the base circle. I have installed the cam and one pair of pushrods and I do have some preload on the lifter, but since that was with the engine upside down on the stand due to buttoning up the bottom end at the time, I haven't really checked to see how much preload. I believe at least .020 is required. I would still prefer to have the original specs in place. They also said that I would not loose any power from the reduced preload.

Comment

There is almost .090 off the MMS stage 2 cam.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
        There is almost .090 off the MMS stage 2 cam.
        wtf? that's alot of preload lost if the stock pushrods are used... I wonder why nobody's ever said anything before???
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

note to self: don't buy from ARI.
          Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
          fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Turns out its .070 but this is a stage 1 cam in a stage 2 box. Looks like cammotion has scrwed up again. Stock base lobe is 1.290" and the stage 1 cam I have is 1.221"
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Turns out its .070 but this is a stage 1 cam in a stage 2 box. Looks like cammotion has scrwed up again. Stock base lobe is 1.290" and the stage 1 cam I have is 1.221"
              that still dosen't seem right.. maybe for a regrind but for an aftermarket cam the base circle should still be the same. I've never had to use special pushrods in any engine i've built (most were SBC's)

I've had cams that were so big that you had to flop them side to side forever to get them to slide in...

that sucks about the cam tho, i bet you could sell it easy
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                that still dosen't seem right.. maybe for a regrind but for an aftermarket cam the base circle should still be the same. I've never had to use special pushrods in any engine i've built (most were SBC's)

I've had cams that were so big that you had to flop them side to side forever to get them to slide in...

that sucks about the cam tho, i bet you could sell it easy
                Small block chevys and other engines with adjustable rocker arms don't count, it's the non adjustable rocker on the aluminum heads that's causing the fuss, so if the base circle on the replacement cam is less than stock you have to be mindful of the preload.

Comment

Turns out its .070 but this is a stage 1 cam in a stage 2 box.
                  Haha, that was probably my stage 1, since I got the stage 2 in a stage 1 box

It doesn't make sense that Milzy would sell a cam that requires custom pushrods but not have any mention of that or have pushrods available...
                  Last edited by moonwell; 10-03-2006, 12:21 PM.
                  V6Z24.com

Comment

oh he offers pushrods but they are stock length.

Comment

Working...
                    X