2.8 lifter dimensions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 lifter dimensions?

Does anyone know the lifter dimensions, lifter bore spacing and oil hole location for a 2.8L? If it's possible I'm going to have the lifter bores machined for sm block lifters so I can run a set of rhoads lifters.
    Increasingly I find the difference between a "fact" and an opinion is the number of people who believe it.

3.4 block converted to roller valvetrain with 220/225 cam on 115 lsa, '769' heads with 3500 valves, LS6 springs & porting, twin T04E turbos, 3500 plenum with ported 3400 lower & 'short star' 65mm throttle.

bump
    Increasingly I find the difference between a "fact" and an opinion is the number of people who believe it.

3.4 block converted to roller valvetrain with 220/225 cam on 115 lsa, '769' heads with 3500 valves, LS6 springs & porting, twin T04E turbos, 3500 plenum with ported 3400 lower & 'short star' 65mm throttle.

Comment

I beleive the bore is .842". I think it's the same diameter as a SBC chevy. The only thing on the 60 degree V6 is one side, the lifters are through oiled, the other, they are side oiled, so you can't run lifters with a short skirt (if they are roller). They will expose the oil channel and cause a massive oil pressure drop.

As for the lifters themselves, they also need the narrow section around the oil channel, if it's a gen 1 or Gen 2 block, since they are only 2 oil gallery setups. You need the extra space around the lifter, since the mains are feed off the lifter oil gallery. The Gen 3 blocks don't use that oil setup anymore. They are 3 oil gallery setup, with a gallery specifically for the mains.
      Curtis
      91\' Turbo Z24
      http://www.turboz24.com

Comment

SBC roller lifters fit in a 60 degree V6... i tried just for the hell of it last winter. oiling is probably way off tho...
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

That'll save me some $ when I have the machining done. It's my daily driver right now so I thought I'd ask someone on here instead of tearing it apart. They're good 'ol flat tappets so the skirt won't be a problem, and they have fairly large double oil grooves so oiling will be fine. I believe they're heavier than stock lifters, but because of the improved internal valving I bet I could squeeze another 200 rpm out of it. Why haven't more people tried this before?

Comment

Don't forget, you also need to make sure it as a "spitter" ont he lifter. The lifter should have a flat spot on it to allow oiling of the cam.
            Curtis
            91\' Turbo Z24
            http://www.turboz24.com

Comment

I think it does but I'll check to make sure.

Comment

Working...
              X