No announcement yet.

3900 Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I received my reground camshaft from Delta and it's not the 220/220 I wanted but according to Scott the base duration for at least one of the specs was around 202 which makes the reground specs a considerable increase in duration. I told them to use their better judgement over what I requested. The first time I discussed this subject with them months ago the person I talked to did provide any recommendation leaving the cam specs up to me, I don't believe it was Scott who handle the regrind.

I entered the specs in Desktop Dyno with a comparison to the stock specs (as best they could be entered due to dynos limitations with the exh specs) and it showed almost the exact same performance installed straight up as the stock cam showed with 15 degrees of retard.

This also further adds to the question of why the measured stock cam specs here are different from what they measured, particularly since Dyno would not allow us to enter all of the exact cam specs measured by members on the forum. I didn't have a problem entering Delta's specs.

The new cam grind doesn't respond positively to retarding or advancing from 0 degrees Dyno, although Delta says it should increase power when retarded up to about 6-8 degrees. The increased duration of the regrind hasn't increased overall performance above stock either in Dyno which doesn't make sense which suggests either the stock specs are wrong and need to be reduced or the regrind will have an adverse effect. The LSA was changed from 112 to 113 and that would have an effect. I was told to expect about a 15% increase in performance.

I don't understand some entries on the spec sheet.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2007, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• here is the card from my 3500 cam (just to compare)...
      Attached Files
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• earlier in this thread, it was stated that the timing cover would bolt up but it has the wrong size holes. Is it possible that the old 2.8/3.1 timing covers would bolt up also? As someone stated that they used a 2.8 timing cover but redrilled some of the holes to use it on a 3100 or 3400 in their fiero..
        88 Beretta GT
        69 Corvette
        79 Mustang Ghia
        95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

• Originally posted by bbeck View Post
          earlier in this thread, it was stated that the timing cover would bolt up but it has the wrong size holes. Is it possible that the old 2.8/3.1 timing covers would bolt up also? As someone stated that they used a 2.8 timing cover but redrilled some of the holes to use it on a 3100 or 3400 in their fiero..
          Depends on how the 3900 timing cover differs from the 3400. I enlarged three holes in the 2.8 cover to make it work on the 3400. The problem aside from that is the coolant exit from the end of the cylinder head on the 3900, so as far as putting this engine in the Fiero there is no benefit to putting the 2.8 cover on it because you can't mount anything by way of assesories to the cylinder head which for added hassle are left and right pieces.

Comment

• Anyone know for sure if the 3.9L shares the same deck height (8.818") as the previous 3x00 engines?
            98 camaro swapping in lz9 th400 setup
            LZ9 specs: (Subject to Change work in progress)
            4.0L(after bore 3.917 and stroke 3.3485),carrillo sbc rods(narrowed),wiseco custom forged pistons 8.5:1 CR, TCE Double Roller timing chain, gen 3 cam, P&P heads, headers 1 3/4 primaries into 3-1 collector, and going to run ms2.

Comment

• nevermind I found it on the specs page... For some reason I passed it up a half dozen times lol.
              4.0L(after bore 3.917 and stroke 3.3485),carrillo sbc rods(narrowed),wiseco custom forged pistons 8.5:1 CR, TCE Double Roller timing chain, gen 3 cam, P&P heads, headers 1 3/4 primaries into 3-1 collector, and going to run ms2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
                nevermind I found it on the specs page... For some reason I passed it up a half dozen times lol.
                So that means all that's necessary to use these forged pistons for much cheaper than custom;

Performance Automotive Parts from Accel Billet Edelbrock MSD VDO. JEGS is the source for performance parts with Same Day Shipping.

is a possible valve relief and proper size wrist pin busching and maybe balancing depending on the weight difference. That's less than $60 a piston complete with rings.

Comment

• Nice find on the Mahle pistons. I need to go check the cylinder bores and see if my block needs cleaned up or not, but I doubt it with only 4200 miles on it. Maybe a light hone even though there are still crosshatch marks visable.

Comment

• This thread sucks with all the missing pictures
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

• Yeah..... They were misplaced when our server crashed. I will see if I can find and replace them. Anything in particular that you were looking for?

On a side note, I had a little time this past week trying to get this engine ready for dyno tuning. The headers are mostly finished with the exception of adding bungs for O2 and EGT sensors. These were made for use on the engine dyno and have 1.62" diameter unequal length (23.5"~27") primaries to roughly replicate what will fit in the Chevette or a MGB. The the merge is 6" long into a 6" long 2.5" collector. I have also started working on the Megasquirt wiring harness that will be controlling it.

This is a stock LZ9 with Comp Cam springs and retainers, TCE spring seats, Manley Teflon valve seals, modified 1393 cam from WOT-Tech and a 75mm 5.3 TB.

Tuning will be done on a Superflow engine dyno at Kammr & Kammer. They specialize in Mopars but work with most other engines and have experience with Megasquirt. They will be doing two tunes, one for max power and one for everyday driving/economy. Should be interesting to see the results.

There are several things left to do before it goes to dyno. Injectors need to be cleaned or replaced and final engine assembly. I also will be building an engine test stand to fire it up to be sure everything is working correctly and to set the idle A/F using the wideband. At $100/hour, I want to minimize dyno time and don't want to risk a wire or some other little thing not being right.

Attached Files
                      MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                      '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                      http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                      http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

• That's just crazy how the gen2 covers fit the gen4 engines!! LOL

Can't wait for the results!!!!! You have the cam locked in place? What about the crank trigger? External or internal replacement?

Us FWD'er need to get on the ball and use this engine!!
                        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

• iirc they needed to be modified slightly to seal right but i've had gen2 covers on my 3500.. i took them off to finish polishing them but never put them back on due to laziness.
                          Past Builds;
                          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                          Current Project;
                          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

• I know the thread is almost six years old, but I feel it needed a bit of a bump. any chance some of these missing pics will ever come back?

I think we should probably sticky this thread too, lots of useful info in here.
                            Last edited by ericjon262; 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM.
                            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

• got to agree, would lots of good info and pictures... should be easier to find.

Mike

Comment

• I have been wanting to replace the pictures but my problem is a lack of time. I will try to squeeze some time in for this.
                                MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                                '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                                http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                                http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Working...
                                X