3900 Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
    Well Worst case scenario would be to just swap over the whole wiring harness, and transmission (already been considering it since there is more aftermarket for the 4t65e-hd then my th125c or the 282 getrag). So I am just trying to look and see if there is anything out there from other applications that may be able to be used in the 3900 application.
    With the ever increasing electronic and mechanical integration that will not likely be an easy task. The PCM is going to look for more than just engine sensor connection for proper function, like the Northstar PCM it's probably going to be looking for signals from even more items not found on the vehicle it's being swapped into, for example if there is no ABS defeat option it will want to know it's there, along with whatever the body control module is supposed to tell it. I believe installing it's harness would take a serious commitment, kind of like marriage.

Comment

• What year did the LZ4 get used and what cars... I'm trying to get a 3500 top end for my 3400 and I found a 05 pontiac G6 3500 with 2k on it... that isnt the LZ4 is it?? I don't want to buy a whole engine to find out I can't use it.

Info on lookup, I searched for 05 Malibu motor, says 4th VIN digit "Z" (New style), 3.5L (VIN 8, 6-214) for the search criteria... is that a LZ4 in which case wouldnt work with a 3400 lower end... or would it??

I'm confused now.
      Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 12-08-2006, 10:18 AM.

Got Lope?
      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
        What year did the LZ4 get used and what cars... I'm trying to get a 3500 top end for my 3400 and I found a 05 pontiac G6 3500 with 2k on it... that isnt the LZ4 is it?? I don't want to buy a whole engine to find out I can't use it.

Info on lookup, I searched for 05 Malibu motor, says 4th VIN digit "Z" (New style), 3.5L (VIN 8, 6-214) for the search criteria... is that a LZ4 in which case wouldnt work with a 3400 lower end... or would it??

I'm confused now.
        I believe that the LZ4s came out in '06 but am not for sure. If it is a LZ4, nothing will swap to the 3400. Be 100% sure before you buy it. I see alot of people doing the LX9 3500 top swap but don't understand why they aren't using the complete engine. The additional displacement, increased compression ratio and rear oil squirter are all positive. And most likely, the heads would flow better with the larger bore.
        MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
        '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
        http://www.tcemotorsports.com
        http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

• I loose too much else as far as daily driving stuff to make it worth swapping in a entire 3500... My AC compressor wont fit the block, my rear trans mount needs to be recreated, and I would have to get the external crank trigger from the store to get it to work... I would much rather stick with the block and internals that work with my OBDII ecm than put all these fabricated parts on it... I'm going for ease of install and operation, not all power and speed. I want it to look factory under the hood too... this is why I may be looking for a 3100 large bore plenum to fool the heck out of everyone.

As of right now my car is a dialy driver and I would like to keep the luxuries that come on it as well as perk it up, if it were just a project car then christ I would be trying to cram a 3900 or 3800 in there some how...

Someone on bstuff answered my question, they are having a 05 Malibu engine installed into their Beretta, and it's NOT the LZ4 style and if you search for 05 Malibu motor, NO 06 engines are shown, only 04 and 05 as interchangeable so that means they must have changed in 06. And the same the other way, search 06 G6 and only 06 Malibu and G6 comes up, nothing older.
          Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 12-08-2006, 11:03 AM.

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

• Any progress on the VVT eliminator CNC?
            98 camaro swapping in lz9 th400 setup
            LZ9 specs: (Subject to Change work in progress)
            4.0L(after bore 3.917 and stroke 3.3485),carrillo sbc rods(narrowed),wiseco custom forged pistons 8.5:1 CR, TCE Double Roller timing chain, gen 3 cam, P&P heads, headers 1 3/4 primaries into 3-1 collector, and going to run ms2.

Comment

Any progress on the VVT eliminator CNC?
              That's what I want to know before getting my swap started next week, I think he's spending too much time with his family. Focus CNC, bring the family to work, put them in a nice corner out of the way and on with the magic.

Comment

• I am waiting for conformation on the eliminator before I go buy the motor, and sell all my 3.1L goodies (forged pistons, UDP, Lunati camshaft, roller rockers, and ARP main studs).
                Last edited by Nightingale; 12-13-2006, 09:18 PM.
                4.0L(after bore 3.917 and stroke 3.3485),carrillo sbc rods(narrowed),wiseco custom forged pistons 8.5:1 CR, TCE Double Roller timing chain, gen 3 cam, P&P heads, headers 1 3/4 primaries into 3-1 collector, and going to run ms2.

Comment

• It is designed and the raw material is here. My problem is open time on the machines. I cant do any of the side jobs for about 2 more weeks and then we are into the holiday schedule. I need to send this cam and let them check it for max grind. Perhaps I can get that done this week. I am giving alot of consideration to making some billet cam blanks. The gear cutter is supposed to come in this weekend to give me some prices on that part of it.
                  MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                  '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5

Comment

• a nice F/I grind would be a nice consideration... So as for timescale, would you say another month for prototypes? I am hoping to get started on my swap around mid January if all goes well, and have the my car ready to role out to the street/strip early summer(wishful thinking, but the plan is to get done before they decide to close Magnolia dragstrip).
                    Last edited by Nightingale; 12-14-2006, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• I read some literature yesterday regarding the Lexus which included a little on the VVT where a description of the electric version and how it maintained the cams in the proper position on engine shut off so that next startup could occur without a problem. A brief statement was made saying that the hydraulicly operated VVT system does not work below 1000 rpm or during engine warm up. Whether or not that applys to GM or not I do not know but I doubt any of the lexus engines being overhead cam used hydraulic VVT and that was mentioned as a reason for their use of electric motors to operate it. The mechanism is very complicated.

Comment

• so did u get any measurements on the lifters from the 3900, ie dimensions and weight, so they might be used in the 3400 block? or if they are the same dimension as the lifters used in the 3500 nonvvt block?

Comment

• Sorry for the change in direction of this question but,
                          There are units out there that contol additional injectors which work off of map, or map and rpm. The more expensive ones ($600) allow you to monitor duty cycle too. Once you figure out what duty cycle yields what amount of timing/advance you would know what timing your running.
                          So, besides the price would there be anything wrong with running one of these controlers for the VVT?
                          The controlers I was refering to are:
                          ERL MF2
                          HKS AIC
                          Greddy's Rebic units
                          95 Bonneville - RIP
                          90 Regal Custom -RIP
                          2nd 95 Bonneville (max effort L36 build)
                          98 Infiniti i30 (vq35'd)

Comment

• Any updates on the eliminator setup?

Comment

Any updates on the eliminator setup?

Getting closer but still a month or so away.
                              MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                              '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5

Comment

• sounds perfect since I have a couple things to get settled first in the garage. One being a mysterious engine problem with my duratec powered ford escape, and the second being to finish up an old 2.5L chrysler engine rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                                X