Ignition upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition upgrade

Anybody out there running ignition mods? I'm considering the MSD DIS 4 with coil modules and MSD coils. I'm planning on a 125HP shot of NOS (wet) in my 3400 and I'm concerned about spark blow out. Of course running MSD wires too, and also looking into a spark plug 2 heat ranges colder and iridium.
    or maybve only one heat range colder seeing as I'm on stock programming, no egr, and no converter, she smells a little rich out the pipe. When I hit the dope she'll have 112 octane fuel too, and the DIS should allow me to retard the timing 2.5 deg.

I'm currently installing a cool can for the fuel and relocating the battery to the trunk, I'll post pics later this week.

Opinions on this please....

thanks
    Last edited by 95SleeperAcheiva; 08-14-2006, 02:52 PM.
    sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
    A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
    Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
    Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
    PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

i am running the msd dis 4 box with accel coils wires and plugs with a 50 shot on my 3.1 and it runs good
    01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

i also run the msd dis4 box, msd coils and their adaptors and magnecor wires and it runs good. the unit recently poopled out on me but was repaired under warranty. i personally wouldnt use accel coils, they are known to crap out really quick. it is nice when using nitrous because it allows you to retard timing when nitrous is used. i have a 3.1L and gap my plugs to .060 and use a 75 shot of nitrous and never had a problem. some people say it doesnt really do anything but having one is a different story. it runs smoother and definitely has better throttle response. very nice upgrade

Comment

I'm running a DIS-4 box with MSD 8.5mm wires but factory iridium plugs. i haven't decited boost or NOX. But I'm allready for whatever i decide!
        2002 Pontiac GrandAm GT1
        3400 v6
        TOG headers
        RSM 62MM T-body
        FFP underdrive pulley
        GRANATELLI MAF
        Ported upper intake
        MSD DIS 4 ignition box
        MSD Wires and coils (pending)
        Venom high flow fuel pump (pending)

Comment

fast raised a question... do I increase the plug gap when running N2O? I always went to smaller gap by .004" and then went 2 ranges colder in plug heat range ie 45 to a 43.
          sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
          A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
          Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
          Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
          PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Yes you should use a smaller gap for N20. Like FastGT I have also Run into and MSD DIS4 box failure, coil failure and the coil adaptors failing. Not too reasuring.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

As above, bring that gap from 60 to 50....even 55 will help. The basics for the colder plugs....2 points colder for every 75 hp added.

Comment

i didnt know i had to go smaller on the gap. i never had a problem running it that way. i figured it wasnt a crazy amount of nitrous, only a 75 shot and not like 250 or so

Comment

Just my 2 cents on after market coils - Been running Accel's Delco-style DIS coils for a while now with stock compression on ACDelco iridium plugs without any problems; very happy with them.
                  N-body enthusiast:
                  {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
                  {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
                  {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

Comment

Yes, you want to go with a smaller gap using nitrous or boost. Because nitrous also makes higher cylinder pressures, so you need to make it easier for the spark to jump. I wouldn't use iridium plugs with a 125hp shot though. Switch to copper. They don't last as long, but neither does iridium when you start exposing those tiny tips to the high pressures and high combustion heat of nitrous.

I'm using an MSD DIS-4 box with the adapters and MSD coils and taylor 8mm wires. So far no problems with any of them. The ignition retard feature of the DIS-4 could certainly be usefull for running nitrous. I wouldn't leave it on all the time of course. Just at the track when on the bottle.
                    '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                    '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                    13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                    Gotta love boost!

Comment

Working...
                    X