Do I have to run a cat/cat's???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to run a cat/cat's???

Hey guys, in the planning stages of swapping a 2.8 from an 88 celebrity into my MGB and am trying to work out everything before I start here. I am getting to the exhaust part and am wondering if I strictly have to run a catalytic converter in order for the computer to run the engine properly. I ask this because in the area where I live I do not have to have the emissions tested at all, and not for the forseeable future (rural nevada, very very low population density). If I can get away with not running a cat that would make things alot easier, as I am short on room under the car as it is. I plan on running a non-emissions cam anyway, so I am assuming that I am going to either have to buy an aftermarket computer, or have it re-programmed to operate with the higher performance cam, when I have that done can the computer also be programmed to run without cat?

These questions may seem stupid, I apologise, I am new to the world of EFI
    1980 MGB Roadster - V6 engine swap commencing....

There's no need for one at all.

I speak from experience; my '87 Fiero 2.8 has a test pipe in place of the cat. Pulled stronger afterwards, manifolds didn't glow so violently as before, etc. It also reduced the interior and engine bay temperatures, since on a v6 Fiero the cat is right next to the firewall.

Of course, engines without catalytic converters are for off-road use only.
    Last edited by Fiero Brick; 08-11-2006, 10:38 AM.
    87 Fiero GT
    2.8 liter v6

Comment

Originally posted by Fiero Brick
      There's no need for one at all.

Of course, engines without catalytic converters are for off-road use only. in the state of California.
      There, fixed that last part of your post ;P

Comment

only ODBII vehicles had an O2 sensor after the cat to make sure it works. So the 2.8 won't throw a check engine light if there is no cat. You'll be fine.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes
          only ODBII vehicles had an O2 sensor after the cat to make sure it works. So the 2.8 won't throw a check engine light if there is no cat. You'll be fine.
          Thanks for the info guys, its good to know this.

Comment

Working...
          X