Resonator delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonator delete?

hey i drive an 01 chevy impala (3400 series) i recently added magnaflow dual-exhaust, and i am debating on deleting the resonator, i am very cautious that it will create the dreaded rice burner sound. what do u guys think?

Keep it or put a larger one on. It makes such a huge difference on a 3.4 DOHC to use an 18" resonator that I would definetly not remove it on a 3400.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I have a carsound 2.5'' highflow cat from ebay and 2.5'' piping back with no res. I have 2 JKL mufflers(got from a car stereo shop) and my 3100 sounds actually very nice.
      A lot of the local Newer gtp members are always asking me what kind of exhaust I have. Sounds like a v8 but doesn't go like one.
      Last edited by blackbombshell95; 07-26-2006, 11:02 AM.
      Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
      02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
      www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

I have a dynomax ultraflo which is straight through like the magna flow.

I cut mine out, and the exhaust didn't get louder, but it's actually LESS raspy. Everyone says it's raspy without the resonator, but for me, it was the opposite!!

I also noticed a increase in power I was not expecting. 2nd gear actually gained some pull, which makes sense because the factory resonator is just a larger tube, so gases slow down, then at the end of it, there is a flat washer with a hole, so the gasses slam into it and then must go through it. It's not tapered or anything.

A preferated glass pack is straight through and same size and will flow a lot better over the factory resonator. But personally I don't think there is a need.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

After driving around without a resonator for the past 2 years I'm tempted to put a glasspack in it's place. With a flowmaster, the drone during highway driving is getting to me. If you do a lot of driving at a steady cruise speed I'd suggest replacing it (glasspack as suggested or a another, "pre"-muffler) rather than deleting it.

The 3x00's without a resonator and a magnaflow muffler does make a fair bit of the so-called raspy sound from what I've heard in person.
          1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Working...
          X