Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FWI, or modded air box. Which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWI, or modded air box. Which is better?

I got to thinking, and I'm wondering which of these would be the most optimal setup. The stock air box is from a 94 3100, if that matters.

A) 7" K&N cone in the fender, with pvc/etc going to the TB.
    B) Modified air box w/ K&N drop in. The 3" opening going into the fender would have a tube extended down into it, which in turn runs up and connects into the box with a full 3" opening. The stock snorkel opening would be enlarged for the tube to go in.

I'm guessing the 7" cone would have more surface area, but perhaps more turbulant flow. The modded stock box would have the same inlet/outlet as the cone does, but with a flat filter so the air exiting it would all be pretty much going straight out.

Also, which do you think is better place to get cold air from??

1) Stock snorkel location (behind headlight).
    2) Fender location between splash gaurd.

I'm thinking about trying the modded box, but I have no idea if I can tell which is better. I have two boxes so I can try this. One I modded before slightly, but the idea here is to have the opening a full 3" or more. But it will only be 3" since I can't put another inlet pipe going anywhere close to cold air. Hopefull the modded box would have the same loudness as a open cone. Without that sound my exhaust is toooo quiet!! Sounds so nice with that sound. I bet it will be quiter since the filter element isn't directly exposed to the outside, it has the box and then tube on the end which will muffle the sound some The modded box would be easier to build, and look stock. The cone is harder to build the tubing, but would sound better...

But which do you think would be best for power? Is the extra surface of the cone going to make a difference?
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Take out the airbox and battery, relocate the battery to the trunk, add a set of homemade madifolds & a T3/T04e turbo, work out downpipe and wastegate...

Worry about the rest later.
    Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Bah I'd go with a beretta that already had a 3.1 and 5spd if I was going big power boost/3400. I can't spend much mod time on my DD, or make the auto crap out faster. Don't have time or tools to swap motors and to a 5spd! Not to mention it would be ODBI not bastard ODB1.5 so I could actually tune it or put a TGP chip in...

So.... how about an answer to my questions??? Even if it's just what you think, so as long as you're not just pickign it out of a hat!
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I know Lorenzo (and possibly Chris as well) proved on a dyno that the stock airbox was better overall that a WAI and possibly even CAI. If I ever get off my ass, I'll probably put my stock airbox back in.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I can easily believe stock vs. WAI, but CAI I'm kinda skepticle of, at least at WOT. I'm interested in seeing the dyno results of a CAI test, if anyone has them; and also a comparison of a CAI n factory intake on a ported motor compared to a stock motor.

Has anyone ever calculated the VE of a motor with a stock intake vs. a CAI?
          N-body enthusiast:
          {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
          {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
          {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

Comment

What about the tranzgenic dyno sheets? Of course they compared to the 3.1 airbox, which may be more restrictive than the 3100's??

When you say better overall, is that overall power? Or peak?
            Is it more like cone is better for peak, but overall power is lower?

IMHO, if you have 5peak, vs say 5hp increase over all that doesn't raise the peak hp # any, the later would help you be faster in the 1/4 mile...

Mainly concerend about FWI/CAI. I already know a cone in the hot engine bay isn't going to help you much.

Just wondering about the way the air goes through the filter if that actually accounts for anything. Having the air box the filter is flat and air rams it like a radiator..
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

i would get a later model factory airbox and fab up a ram air intake to connect to it. Most of the more recent factory air intakes are GOOD with a higher flowing filter element

Comment

Mine is a 94 3100, it's pretty big filter. I think it's about the same size as the newer cars. I have no room to do ram air setup, other than the factory snorkel which barely fits through the rad support, and gets cold air from behind the headlight. But it's very small in diameter.

I might attempt to do the cone in the fenderwell first (putting it off cause it looks to be a pain to get the piping behind the battery), and if I get frustrated probably mod the spare box I have. Or do both and swap between them and guess which one feels better. I love the sound of the cone but for some reason like the idea of a stock looking box that has a big 3" opening going into the fender It would sound a little deeper like that over a stock box at least.
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                X