4T45 Tanny mods (help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4T45 Tanny mods (help)

I am going to need some tranny mods, I have a 4T45E in my 01 GA GT.
    Yes it is supercharged, I know the tranny is not going to hold forever, So what after market parts can I buy to install in my tranny to make it stronger. Im trying to avoid buying a new one. Ive already upped the preasure, and I have a tranny cooler as well, seems to being doing ok for know, but Im replacing a silinoid so I want to add something as well to make it hold up better, any sugestions.

Well you did one good thing by increasing pressure, That will give you more holding power. But going further into the tranny and increasing the number of clutches or getting clutches with more holding power will prevent slipage. The 4T40 is a great tranny to begin with. Its design is strong and simple. It is also a progressive shift tranny. Also buy yourself some type of programmer or software and change the shift points and firmness.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

ummmm, thought the 40 and the 45 are the same. just the 45 has more clutches--according to a tranny shop.
      Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
      fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

The following gallery, and it's subs, may be of interest:

Welcome to our website! Discover a range of top-quality products and services tailored to meet your needs. Browse through our pages to see how we can add value to your lifestyle. Join us in a seamless shopping experience that combines convenience, affordability, and speed. Explore more with us!
        Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by torq455
          ummmm, thought the 40 and the 45 are the same. just the 45 has more clutches--according to a tranny shop.
          Most likely they are. Im sure there are a few other components that seperate them

Comment

Ha ha I just took a look at that link about the 4T40 thing. I laughed when I read "it seems as though im the first person to break an EP diff" Well shit does he think it is something special? And EP diff is just a stock one machined to accept a limited spli clutch pack and springs. Nothing about it is stronger. I bet the guys at EP said that to him LOL

Comment

lol... Um, that is my site And the reason I mentioned that I must have been the first one is "since I have never heard of one braking before...." Technically is is not stock, but more of a swap for the 45e. It is just a 65e carrier housing, with a few thrust plates and springs, which makes it a bit of a tight squeeze. Hence the damage to the case by the reluctor ring... And it is a 45e
              Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

From what I understand, the only difference between the 40E and the 45E is the final drive ratio. 3.05 and 3.29 respectively.
                1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Actually, the 45e has a final drive ratio of 3.05 (in the GA SE) & 3.29 (in the GA GT).

Between the 40 & 45, there are differences in the drive chain and driven sprockets though. There are other subtle differences as well like the input speed sensor. To get a better understanding, it is easier to look over parts explosions or differences in part numbers. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any definitive description of the major differences between the two.
                  Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael
                    From what I understand, the only difference between the 40E and the 45E is the final drive ratio. 3.05 and 3.29 respectively.

Nope, like tejohnson already said, there are some other differences. Basically the 45e is the newer and beefier version and is the best starting point. They also have made some improvements to some of the stock parts over the years (some stronger thrust bearings, pump shaft and bearing, revised seperator plate, things like that) and any comprehensive rebuild should include those parts.

It's also usually a good idea to get new shift solenoids and/or a new torque converter in case they are contaminated (probably with burnt clutch material) or just worn out. You can also get a custom torque converter in the $400-$450 range. For after market parts, you can get the EP LSD, raybestos blue clutches, and superior aluminum accumulator pistons. Anything beyond that has to be custom right now, like cryo treating gears or nitride coated steel plates (for between the clutches). Hope that helps. I've done some of these myself, but I've only rebuilt it once so I'm pretty much following Todd's build now. He's on the for-front of 4T45 modification.
                    '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                    '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                    13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                    Gotta love boost!

Comment

Hey all, new here; not to knowledgeable on the tranny internals, but was wondering if y'all knew how much of the internals are compatible between a T45-E and a T60-E. I figure not much, right?
                      N-body enthusiast:
                      {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
                      {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
                      {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

Comment

Unfortunately... Not much.
                        Regards,

Todd E. Johnson

Comment

thought so

Prob be easier to just swap trannies, then
                          N-body enthusiast:
                          {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
                          {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
                          {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

Comment

Working...
                          X