No announcement yet.

Milzy Grind #'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it possible to use the milzy cams with a 3400 bottom end and 2.8 heads and intake?

it would be on a boosted motor.

Comment

Why would you run 2.8 heads and intake? Those are so inferior to 3400 heads and intakes. You'll make so much power with the gen3 top end over the gen2. The 3400 block has a improvements for durabilty, but isn't going to give you much a gain in hp. Just go full 3400, or put a 3400 top end on the old 3.1 mpfi.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

it is the easiest way to lower the cr without taking apart a 7k mile shortblock.. CR is about 7.1:1 with the 2.8 heads, low enough to run 15psi all day with no worries. when it is making mid 300's on 15psi, that is pleanty of power in a fiero
        Last edited by Coinage; 06-30-2006, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I'm glad this thread has resurfaced. Has anyone purchased a cam core from Milzy? Is it a solid core with the gear cut into it or does it have pressed on distributor gear and rear journal? Pictures anyone?

Thanks!
          He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

Comment

It is not a solid core, it is hollow. I have pictures somewhere, but I'd have to dig them up.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi
              It is not a solid core, it is hollow. I have pictures somewhere, but I'd have to dig them up.
              Don't bother, I'll take your word for it. Does he sell the cores unground?
              He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Coinage
                it is the easiest way to lower the cr without taking apart a 7k mile shortblock.. CR is about 7.1:1 with the 2.8 heads, low enough to run 15psi all day with no worries. when it is making mid 300's on 15psi, that is pleanty of power in a fiero
                You can run 15psi all day with no worries on a 9.5:1 CR 3400. Or you could use 3500 heads to drop the CR a bit, but not really necessary.
                '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                Gotta love boost!

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi
                  Um, the cam I got from milzy was not hollow and nothing was pressed on. It was a solid core.

I don't think he sells them unground since cammotion makes the cores and grinds them for him too. I believe all the cams he has already have specific grinds on them, and they probably won't be making any more until someone gets together an order for a bunch more. He could probably send one back to get reground if you wanted different specs?
                  Last edited by AaronGTR; 07-03-2006, 03:04 PM.
                  Gotta love boost!

Comment

can anyone just answer my question?

Comment

You'd need custom pushrods I would imagine. The 3400 top end has been done before, no reason why someone couldn't do a 2.8/3.1 top end on a 3400 I think..
                      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

OK I have a statement and a question for all of you.

If you shave your heads/ deck your block, change your cam to a cam that you are "assuming" is a certain spec...

Why didn't you degree the damn thing in? You would have had all the specs on the cam you want if you installed properly. Not to mention when you do ANY change, differant heads ect., you should be measuring for differance! Dude the height of the head changed as soon as it gets shaved, the height of the head changed as soon as you wnet to a differant set of heads, same part number does not mean perfect sizes; that means things moved, your distances are now differant. the rockers are adjustable right? If not, how do you know your getting .020" of plunger sink into your lifters? How do you know the center line on the cam didn't change when they cut that cam? How do you know they didn't advance the cam 4 deg on centerline for "that performance" feel? Where are the rockers hitting your valve tip? Are they aligned properly? Are your push rods long/short enough to maintain proper valve train geometry/lifter preload?

My point? This is what gives you HP that the other guy ain't got, not the bolt ons!
                        Build them as a bolt together, no look sees, and you might as well start asking yourself, "Why balance the crank?"
                        sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                        A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                        Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                        Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                        PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Maybe... not everyone has the equipment and/or knowledge to measure all that stuff on a cam shaft? I know I wouldn't. I would sure as hell hope though that a major cam manufacturer like cammotion would have an accurate spec sheet for the cam they give you. I wouldn't think you'd need to double check all those numbers. As for me personally, I have adjustable rockers and had custom pushrods made so I was setting the pre-load for the lifters and the placement on the valve tip myself. I didn't have anything decked on my heads or block. As for height changes between sets of factory heads (not decked), thats just nit picking. Sure there may be a difference of a few thousandths but nothing you need to adjust for. They don't measure every set at the factory and make minute adjustments. It's called regular production tolerances man. If it's good enough to put any set of heads on an engine at the factory and put stock rockers and pushrods on it and be dependable enough to run for 100,000 miles, then I think you'll be safe swapping heads and not having to bust out the micrometer.
                          Gotta love boost!

Comment

Agreed, but you yourself made the adjustment when you went to custom legnth pushrods. a cam degree kit cost about $80 for a cheap one and has the instructions on "how to"

Personally I have never heard of cammotion. How about Crane, Isky, Brown, luni, ect... They have been around for years, they are very reputable, and I have had lobe variance, lift errors and centerlines as much as 180 deg out. Shit happens. My point is it should be checked, not assumed.

I mean what happens if you don't check your lift and the cam was miss boxed, it happens. You put it together crank your mill and bend every valve. Now what? Looks like to me like you just got to learn how to rebuild your heads. If you bitch to the cam manufacturer you know what they'll say? "you should have installed properly." Which means doing all that measuring. Aaron, you sound to me like you already know. I'm just trying to point out to those who are learning, about doing it right.
                            sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                            A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                            Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                            Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                            PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Cammotion makes all the cores for comp cams and for many other companies. Crane makes their own cores. I'm surprised you haven't heard of them since they've been discussed all over this site. I'd be extremely surprised if they boxed one of these cams wrong though, reason being they weren't a mass marketed big run cookie cutter cam like an SBC cam. They only made a small batch and had half a dozen different grinds so they probably had to spec each one and print out a sheet as they boxed them up. Small room for error.

I didn't adjust anything myself though. My pushrods were custom only because I needed heat treated for use with guide plates and the stock ones weren't. I switched to the adjustable roller rockers long before the cam came out so they had nothing to do with that. I didn't intend to change the length at all since I was installing them with the stock cam. I actually gave specs of what I needed to the company that made them and they sent me back rods that were all 1/16" shorter than the stock ones. I was on a deadline and didn't want to send them back so I decided to install them and see how things lined up. Ends up the roller tip of the rockers I used still sat in the middle third of the valve stem. Roller tips put less side load on valves too and since the geometry was ok I said heck with it and used 'em. Just happens that they've been fine so far.

A lot of these things I've done were the first time I'd done that kind of thing to one of these engines though (other than stock rebuilds) so thats not to say I couldn't have made a mistake on something. I just think that the specs I was using and the level of changes I was making weren't that "extreme" for lack of a better word so there wasn't much chance of a major catastrophe.
                              Gotta love boost!

Comment

Working...
                              X