Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger Question

Ok I have a 01 3400 V6 supercharged with a stage 1 RSM supercharger
    I have all the suporting mods also, (the question is coming)

intake,
    headers, (full exaust front to back)
    forged pistons
    62mm MAF
    and so on........

If I put a smaller pully on the supercharger pully will I see quicker revs and more power? Meaning faster excelleration. Or will I just prematurly wear my supercharger.

just let me know what you think.

Smaller pulley on the supercharger will make it spin faster. You won't see quicker revs, unless you mean because you'll be making more power. The faster the supercharger spins, the more boost it will put out, and more power you can make (if the motor is tuned for it). The supercharger will wear faster since it's spinning faster, but I don't know how much it will wear---meaning if it will make a drastic difference or not in the life.

The main thing is can your motor handle the extra boost with out knocking? Secondly can your fuel system keep up with the added air? Also keep in mind by making the supercharger spin faster than it's rated for*(see below), it will generate more heat on the charged air, and that doesn't help with power or reducing detonation.

* I have no idea what supercharger RSM uses, and if the kit runs it at the nominal RPM, or if it under drives it (spins it slower) or overdrives it (spins it faster).
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I would suggest making it have a front mount intercooler. It would benefit from that by cooling the air, and you might gain more horsepower with less boost. Then you can turn the boost up more safely.
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

I would suggest never posting the same thing in 5 different areas again. Next time I won't leave any left.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ok, I wont post like that again. Sorry Charlie!!!
          Back on subject....
          RSM uses vortech
          And I have everthing to use higher boost.
          Should I go smaller pully or just add a shot of NOS

Comment

I'd go smaller pulley over nitrous. What boost are you at now and whats the model of the supercharger? What compression are you running, and do you have the ability to tune?

Honestly, I'd look into the intercooler first. Get a FMIC and you'll see more power, less detonation, and then you can more easily/safely increase the boost.
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Im not sure exactly on the compression, but When I installed my arias forged pistons I lowered the compresion a bit.

Not sure on the exact model for the supercharger but I know its a Vortech

And I ordered a DHP tuner to tune my engine. so Im able to tune it if I get higher boost levels.

Im also leaning to a intercooler. If you can can I have a site that I can look at a intercoller. That would be great.

Comment

DHP will be great. I'd scan and see if you are lean/rich and if you have knock retard and tune from there. For the intercooler, you can search ebay, go to a junkyard/etc. I don't have any bookmarked sites. Research a bit to find out which is best for your application/boost/shape/size/fit etc..
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Keep an eye on your settup...I have the RSM blower and all the other goodies on my 2002 3400 and in less than a year the shaft bearring and the charger bearring blew out. I have it in a box(Shaft and Blower) going back today. I would go with the Intercooler(Chemical or Radiant) and the DHP before I increase the speed of the blower. Did they install the Vortch FMU as a part of your Blower Package?

Comment

Working...
                  X